1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crossing Blue Laced Red Wyandotte with Silver Laced Wyandotte

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silverstedt, Aug 16, 2009.

1. silverstedt

silverstedt New Egg

Jun 6, 2009
    I just got silver laced chickens, but now I would like to get some BLRW as well. I don't have that much space so I'll probebly have to have those together, what color will they get if you cross BLRW with SLW? I've heard that it's a bad idea [​IMG]

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Would the male be silver laced or the blue laced?

3. silverstedt

silverstedt New Egg

Jun 6, 2009
    Ehm.. Either way. lets start with silver laced roo, result? and with a blue laced roo? or both, one blue laced and one silver laced together? any idea?

4. Krys109uk

Silver laced male on blue laced females gives silver laced & blue laced silver pullets & messy blue & black laced silver males. The males will be 'split' for gold & there would be brassiness in the hackles.

Blue laced red male on silver laced pullets gives blue & black laced red pullets & messy blue & black laced silver males. The males will be 'split' for gold & there would be brassiness in the hackles. The blue & black laced red pullets would probably only be carrying one mahogany gene which could case problems in future generations if used for breeding.

5. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Wouldn't the silver laced & blue laced silver pullets carry a mahogany gene as well? Was wondering if this could show through as a brassiness too?

It seems to me 2 difficult colors to keep in one coop if you want to keep pure colors, I'd either want 2 coops or choose one of the colors.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  6. Krys109uk

Initially I thought it would seem logical that the mahogany from the blue laced red (BLR) mothers would affect the silver laced (SL) pullet offspring. However I couldn't remember having seen it when I did the cross a good few years ago. Henk, who knows more about these things, said that the action of columbian bleaches out red pigment, so, presumably, this is why it doesn't seem to show on the SL male X BLR female. [​IMG]

The BLR male on the SL females will give BLR & black laced red pullets & they won't be noticeably different from any other BLR or black laced red pullets except they will only have one mahogany gene. In futur generations if two birds are bred that themselves only have one mahogany gene each then some of the offspring will have no mahogany so they would be gold rather than red.

7. JoyB

JoyB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Does anyone have any pictures of this combination? Curious as to what they would look like. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by