Crossing Blue Wheaten OEGB with Black Rosecomb to make bl whe rosecomb

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Msbear, May 12, 2009.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I just love the wheaton look and even more the blue wheatens but was wondering how this would cross with black. Will I get a percentage of blue wheaten crosses to mate then bring back to rosecomb and so fourth til I get a decent rosecomb type? or will black dilute the wheaten and never give me decent color?

If that would be the case, would blue red be my next best alternative?

Thanks!

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Ok, I spent sometime on the genetics caculator and got a bit discouraged. Black is dominant over wheaten and would throw 100% black chicks [​IMG]

I wonder what other route I could take. I've seen wheaten rosecombs but they are very rare and would be hard to come by.

...what about blue red rosecomb crossed with wheaten oegb?

3. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    You may be in luck. Black rosecombs could be untypical blacks, being e^b based. If that were so you could get blue breasted red cockerels. The females would be partridge to wheaten looking with extra black.

Put the calculator for the rosecomb on e^b/e^b,Ml/Ml,cha/cha
    It doesn't show the extra black.

If not then the crosslings will be rusty black or blue cockerels and less rusty black or blue pullets.
    The calculator also doesn't show this rust (groundcolor leakage), so don't expect exhibition grade blacks... [​IMG]

I did a similar cross with japanese bantams.

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I wonder if those "rusty blacks" would carry the gene that when put back to wheaten would get me more on track.... It sounds like a long road Im not ready to travel [​IMG]

I just missed Katherine Plumer's Spring egg sale.. she's done for the year.. and she's the only one I know of that has wheatens.

Thanks a bunch!

5. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Any color can be made in 2 generations.
    Problem with wheaten and partridge is that the males are very similar.
    If the rosecomb are standard extended black you wouldn't have that problem but the first generation would be those rusty blacks.

6. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Thanks so much. I know I'll have problems when trying to put the 2nd generation back to rosecomb though... but I think I'll go for it [​IMG] Now, I just need to have hubby build me yet another coop [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by