1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crossing breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poodlepill, Apr 15, 2011.

1. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I abslutly love my EE's, I wish I had an EE Roo but I dont, I have a decent BO roo who because of his totally non human agressive nature I just cant seem to move him along but my favorite would be an Ameraucana Roo or a beautifully colored EE.

In the mean time I got 5 EE pullet chicks and I am secretly hoping one of them is a roo but my last batch of 8 EE pullet chicks grew up to be all pullets.

Ok, So I do have some EE year old hens that BO roo is managing, if I hatched some of the EE/BO eggs would the EE in the chick be diluted? I really want to keep the colored egg and the grab bag of color.

Thanks for your thoughts

2. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Since I'm guessing that you don't know the background of your EE hens, as a lot of us don't, its probably a 50/50 chance of the offspring laying a blue or green egg, since the pea comb is related to the blue egg gene, you might want to keep all the ones that have the pea comb, I hatched out 10 chicks out of my EE/Black Copper Marans, and all of them came out with beards about 4 came out with yellow legs, and 7 with pea combs and 3 with straight combs. I'm keeping all the pullets with the pea comb in hope that I'll get some Olive eggers.

3. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks for your reply, I also have a 10 week old Black Maran Roo that I plan to keep and toy with egg color.

I need to really study the pea comb and get a really good idea of it in my head and go check my EE hens. I do have one olive layer EE. Since the EE's are mutts its really hard sometimes to determine if it is a pea comb-ish LOL could be a strange looking mix.

So mixing the BO (brown egg) with the EE hens could produce an olive egg shell? or only the EE hens with the pea comb mixed with the BO (brown egg) produce the olive egg.

If I mix the EE's with the Black Maran would it be a darker olive shell?

Now if I wanted the blue shell, get an Ameraucana? I am in such a sucky dead zone area for getting nice birds from breeders and I am a bit afraid to go to a poultry auction and bring home diseases so I just mess with what I have.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Technically EE x Orpington just makes a green layer. An "olive" egg layer is created by using dark layers. [​IMG]

Yes, only the offspring with pea combs will give you green eggs. If you've got offspring with single combs, that means your parent EE of course wasn't a true blue layer. A green laying EE x brown layer, like an Orpington, gives you a big chance for normal brown layers.

EE x Marans gives a true "olive egger" - They will indeed have a darker egg color. But, again, if your EE parent lays green eggs, a lot of the offspring are likely to lay dark brown eggs instead of olive eggs.

EE x True Ameraucana = blue and green if she's a green layer. It should be a 50/50 with a lot of inbetweens of blue-green, rich turquoise, etc.

5. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Heres what I got from my crossing an EE roo to my layer hens, BO, RIR, BR etc.

I got all EE looking birds with pea combs. Almostall of them have the green legs.

However the hen that look totally EE lay brown eggs. 1 out of 5 in a coop I have seperate lay brown eggs.

Now that said, because they have pea combs do they carry any of the EE, green laying genes if I were to breed to an EE roo or a true Ameruacana???

I'm confused, are they still considered EE if their father is an EE???

I too was so looking forward to hatching out more EEr's..

Now I have tons of extra True Ameruacana Roos. If I were to cross them with my layer flock as above or my brown laying EE what could I expect to get.

Thanks

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by