1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crossing breeds

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Waste, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Waste

Waste Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    Freeport, Bahamas
    I like the Chinese and the Embdems. Does anyone know if I purchased males of one breed and females of the other if they would breed

2. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

yes they would breed and produce lovely ofspring

3. Waste

Waste Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    Freeport, Bahamas
    Thanks. Any suggestions as to which combination of male to female to use

4. SolarPoweredMe

SolarPoweredMe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2013
    Gulf Coast MS
    The eggs I'm getting are supposedly from a free range flock that include Chinese, Sebastepol, Embden, and Pilgrim. He told me they could all be mixes. The first batch of eggs are noticeably different from one another though, some were a good bit bigger than others.. I've been trying to look up pics of crosses but have been having a hard time, if anyone has any to share or knows where it to view it would be great!

5. Different egg size could be because of age difference in the geese that laid them. A young first time goose will lay a much smaller egg compared to a goose that has been laying for 3 or 4 years.
    Also depending on the colors crossed you could get pied sex link offspring
    I have white chinese crossed with brown chinese (still purebred) and some are pied
    I also have 2 tufted roman crossed with brown chinese, one female pied and one male white

6. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Does anyone know or has a pic of a africanXembden ?!

7. SolarPoweredMe

Dec 28, 2013
    Gulf Coast MS
    So cool! I didn't know the age of the goose had anything to do with it. I just thought it was to do with the breed size! Arg!!! Here I was thinking I had any idea of what was growing inside of them cause of the size of the eggs lol. This is really roulette! Pied is the color splashed backs and necks right? I have to look up sex linked geese now, I didn't know crosses produced linked babies. I know some can be sterile, but was under the impression that's only when crossing domestic and wild breeds, is that right? I had to look up the tufted romans, very pretty!

8. Crosses of white geese on grey geese and white geese on brown geese are sex linked. Purebred sex linked are Pilgrims and Embdens, im sure there are others also. Sterile crosses are wild crossed with domestic. The geese with colored backs and necks are Saddleback, that can also happen along with pied goslings in a crossing.

9. SolarPoweredMe

Dec 28, 2013
    Gulf Coast MS
    Man, getting into geese has proven to be more about genetics than I ever expected! The excitement of not knowing is KILLING me!! Thanks for the info!!

10. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Haha there is so much too say about geese but you must get a few to have fun with them and share your info :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by