Crossing Buff O Rooster with Light Brahma Hen??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Glglenn, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Glglenn

Glglenn New Egg

Oct 24, 2009
    Hello everyone! I just hatched my first batch of chicks from my first batch of hens I raised from chicks. Some of the chicks are yellow while others are buff colored. All have feathered feet though. Is the color indicative of the sex of the chicks or are they randomly taking color traits from each parent. I am really curious about this. Thanks!!

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

They are sex linked.[​IMG]

3. Glglenn

Glglenn New Egg

Oct 24, 2009
    Sorry for my ignorance but what exactly does that mean? Can I know which are pullets and cockerels by their color?

4. Krys109uk

Yes, the pullet chicks are buff the cockerel chicks are yellow.

5. Glglenn

Glglenn New Egg

Oct 24, 2009
    Interesting. Thanks alot for the input. Can you tell me any more about crossing these two breeds that might help me? I will probably stick with these two breeds since I like them so much.

The term sex linked does that mean you can tell their sex from chicks??

6. Krys109uk

The term sex linked does that mean you can tell their sex from chicks??

Sex links are specific crosses making use of dominant/recessive genes on a sex chromosome (Z). Using a male with the two recessive genes over a female with the dominant gene for the trait, male & female chicks inherit slightly different characteristics which enables one to tell the males from females at hatch.
    In the case of your birds your ligh brahma is carrying sex linked silver & the buff Orp is carrying an alternative; sex linked gold.​

7. Glglenn

Glglenn New Egg

Oct 24, 2009
    Interesting information. A little over my head but that's on me [​IMG]
    So the fact that all retain the feathered feet from the mother?
    Do you know where I could find out what they might look like when grown?
    Thanks

8. Krys109uk

So the fact that all retain the feathered feet from the mother?

That's because genes giving feathered shanks are autosomal. Which means they're not on a sex chromosome & thus are not sex linked genes.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by