1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crossing buff Orpington rooster and black Australorp hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by teal29080, Apr 30, 2016.

1. teal29080

teal29080 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    Danville, ohio
    I have a question or two and I hoping you guys can help. We have had three chicks hatch that are mix Orpington/ Australorp so one question is- are they sex link? Because I have read a thread here that says they are but i have a rooster that is gold/ black. So my other question- does the gold or silver in the Australorp matter in the sex link ?? Thank you in advance.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

They will not be sex linked, as Australorps are neither visibly Silver nor Barred, but rather pure black. Usually crosses of black and another color will come out black because the phenotype is very dominant, but buff is the exception. It fights very hard against the black color and often you end up with a bird which is basically buff-reddish on the upper body and black on the lower body. Very interesting and pretty coloration, typically.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by