Crossing California White Leghorns with ???...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by desertskynm, Dec 23, 2011.

1. desertskynm

desertskynm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Hi guys...

Ok, I know you get a california white leghorn by crossing a CA grey leghorn with a white leghorn. My ? is that I am ordering california white leghorns from a hatchery and I want a rooster so the line will continue. I already have a wonderful rooster who is quiet, gentle= really very, very ideal- other than I don't know what he is other than part olive egger- or at least that was the color of the shell he hatched from.

But....

With the economy and cost of feed and all- I need/want the most efficient layer there is, but suited to not flying the coop or being too panicky every time they see a human- like a pure white leghorn is supposed to be.

So it seems like the california white is ideal- but how does crossing a CA white with a CA white work out? Too much inbreeding? The whole cross/hybrid thing is a big question mark in my mind. Is it sustainable? Or if I am going to deal with crosses should I just get a grey leghorn roo, or white leghorn roo, or a different breed altogether- I do like speckled sussex?

I emailed my question to the people at the hatchery a week ago and still no reply.

As a side note, my current roo's papa was also a sweetheart... Should I just breed my roo to the CA white leghorns that come and just work on the lineage to bring up the egg count- or does that ruin the whole great egg laying trait that I want?

Cheers

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

you will not get pure california whites by breeding california whites....California Whites are a mixed breed.......so they will not breed true...hope this helps

3. desertskynm

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Actually no... But I could just be really, really slow...

CA whites are mixed to begin with. If I want to hatch the offspring- what do I use for the father to keep the egg laying as high as the first round will be?

Cheers
    Quote:

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    If your goal is to retain the high egg-laying ratio, I suggest using a White Leghorn roo. If you want to introduce something different but keep the feed-to-production ratio you get with the lighter birds, you might try a Minorca roo.

5. desertskynm

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Ok.... The white leghorn roo makes sense.... I just checked the hatchery's website, they don't list Minorca but they said they would be updating come middle to late Jan.

Thank you... [​IMG]

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by