Crossing chocolate roo on Red Sex Link

ChelsisChooks

Chirping
May 31, 2019
I have a Chocolate Orpington Rooster and in the pen I have 2 Commercial bovan hens. The are both red with white streaks in their neck and end of tails feathers. I believe they would be a red sex link. I know that they can not express chocolate as they have no black. But I’m wondering what color the chicks will be and if the females will still carry chocolate even though it will not be expressed

The pullets will carry chocolate whether its expressed or not.
The cockerels will carry on copy of chocolate so it wouldn't be expressed regardless but it will be there.
What the chicks will look like depends what the RSL parents were.
The RSL has a dominate white parent but its hard to say what's under their white.
Either way the chocolate orp is black under the chocolate so his black will cover a lot.
Some of the chicks will get the dominate white so that will mostly cover the black.
Other pullets that don't get a dominate white gene will express chocolate because of the orps black.
I'm just unsure of what other genes will be in play that will cause leakage or what not.
Genes like Columbian may or may not also get inherited. Hard to nail it all down with the unknowns on the hens side since they're hybrids.

The pullets will carry chocolate whether its expressed or not.
The cockerels will carry on copy of chocolate so it wouldn't be expressed regardless but it will be there.
What the chicks will look like depends what the RSL parents were.
The RSL has a dominate white parent but its hard to say what's under their white.
Either way the chocolate orp is black under the chocolate so his black will cover a lot.
Some of the chicks will get the dominate white so that will mostly cover the black.
Other pullets that don't get a dominate white gene will express chocolate because of the orps black.
I'm just unsure of what other genes will be in play that will cause leakage or what not.
Genes like Columbian may or may not also get inherited. Hard to nail it all down with the unknowns on the hens side since they're hybrids.

thank you for taking the time to respond. I didn’t know if it was possible for some of the chicks to express some black or not. As these Bovans are from a commercial Hatchery and patented genetics it’s hard to say what their parent stock is but it is fair to say it will be highly specific.

Back
Top Bottom