Crossing Jubilee orpingtons with blue and lavender orpingtons

skylarms

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Buckley, WA
I am being gifted a GORGEOUS jubilee cockerel. However, as of now, all I have is 6 week old jubilees. The cockerel is 5 months. In the mean time, I plan to put him with my blue and lavender girls for "practice". Im sure this has been done, but am wondering what colors we may end up with if I were to hatch some chicks. All are very nice representations of orpington type. Thanks!

skylarms

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Buckley, WA
I should also state that Im not in it to create some new "rare" breed. Just wondering what the colors would be? Blue jubilee? Lav jubilee" Maybe a mauve color like when you mix chocolate and lav?

tadkerson

Crowing
Jul 19, 2008
Missouri
I am being gifted a GORGEOUS jubilee cockerel. However, as of now, all I have is 6 week old jubilees. The cockerel is 5 months. In the mean time, I plan to put him with my blue and lavender girls for "practice". Im sure this has been done, but am wondering what colors we may end up with if I were to hatch some chicks. All are very nice representations of orpington type. Thanks!

A adult plumage

jub x blue= black with some non-black color on head, neck and breast / blue some non-black color on head, neck and breast

jub x lav= black with some non-black color on head, neck and breast

The amount of non-black can vary- almost none to a brown red looking bird, non-black in females will be red, males could be white or red depends on the genetics in the female- most likely white in males

back cross a male offspring from the lav cross to the female lavs will produce more lavs

Tim

Last edited:

tadkerson

Crowing
Jul 19, 2008
Missouri
no, when you cross the birds that is what you will get. I know the genetics behind the birds and that is what the offspring will look like.

Tim

skylarms

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Buckley, WA
Thanks! Im very into genetics (well with horses)and would love to learn more about chicken color genetic. If you have a good source for chicken color genetics, please let me know!

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom