1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crossing Jubilee orpingtons with blue and lavender orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by skylarms, Sep 21, 2013.

1. skylarms

skylarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    I am being gifted a GORGEOUS jubilee cockerel. However, as of now, all I have is 6 week old jubilees. The cockerel is 5 months. In the mean time, I plan to put him with my blue and lavender girls for "practice". Im sure this has been done, but am wondering what colors we may end up with if I were to hatch some chicks. All are very nice representations of orpington type. Thanks!

2. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    I should also state that Im not in it to create some new "rare" breed. Just wondering what the colors would be? Blue jubilee? Lav jubilee" Maybe a mauve color like when you mix chocolate and lav?

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    A adult plumage

jub x blue= black with some non-black color on head, neck and breast / blue some non-black color on head, neck and breast

jub x lav= black with some non-black color on head, neck and breast

The amount of non-black can vary- almost none to a brown red looking bird, non-black in females will be red, males could be white or red depends on the genetics in the female- most likely white in males

back cross a male offspring from the lav cross to the female lavs will produce more lavs

Tim

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  4. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    Thanks! You've donr this I take it! Do you have photos by chance?

5. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    no, when you cross the birds that is what you will get. I know the genetics behind the birds and that is what the offspring will look like.

Tim

6. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    Thanks! Im very into genetics (well with horses)and would love to learn more about chicken color genetic. If you have a good source for chicken color genetics, please let me know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by