1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crossing Marans of different colors?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cricket0045, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Cricket0045

Cricket0045 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    I'm new to BYC, so I hope this is in the right place. What colors would you get if you crossed a Cuckoo Marans with a Black Copper Marans, a Cuckoo Marans with a Blue Copper Marans, or a Cuckoo Marans with a Splash Marans? I am not all that knowledgeable on chicken genetics, other than the B/B/S color. Thanks in advance for any help! [​IMG]

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Yup. You need to join one of the Marans Clubs. If you do these crosses, mark the chicks and let the buyers know the color history behind them. One of the biggest problems the breed faces right now is birds of mixed color heritage being sold as pure colors. There's a Marans thread here on BYC with some genetics experts on it who can help you out. Sounds like you have some nice birds.
    When I was working with Golden Salmon Marans I bought this book. It's been such a great help. Easy to understand and the pictorial color encyclopedia in the back is a real treasure.
    http://www.chickencolours.com/pagina3.html
    Best Success,
    Karen and the Light Sussex
    in western PA

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  3. Cricket0045

Cricket0045 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    Thanks, 3riverschick!
    I would most likely be keeping the offspring for myself, but I would definitely let any buyer know they are not pure. I think I will probably just breed by color, instead of crossing. I really want the book you mentioned! It looks like it would have so much information!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by