Crossing my fingers for pullet but I'm not sure...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pineapple416, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Pullet

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Cockerel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    DSC_0628.JPG
    This is my 4 month old frizzled Cochin. The breeder assured us that it was a pullet but once we brought it home I am having second doubts. Is it normal for a pullet to start developing combs/wattles at 4 months old? I am really hoping this is a pullet because I have become very attached to it. The comb and wattles are pretty pale in person but look a little brighter red in the picture than they actually are. I will take better pictures this morning once it is brighter out. I mostly wanted to know when pullets begin developing combs and wattles at the moment. Thanks for any info in advance!

2. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    That is looking like a pullet to me- especially if the comb and wattles are paler in person.

drumstick diva and pineapple416 like this.
  3. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    It would be easier if it was 2 months younger and had comb and wattles like that as that would make it an easier call. At this age a pullet is likely to be developing comb and wattles, so assuming she has not been like this for a couple of months, I am leaning towards pullet. Bantam cochins are usually pretty easy to spot the males at 5 weeks, but I had a black one last year that developed quite a pink comb that early and had me guessing right up to laying an egg. I was pretty convinced she must be a cockerel, but was pleased to be wrong.

4. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Pullet.

5. pineapple416

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Thanks you so much everybody this is great to hear! We already have 2 roos so not sure if we could keep it if it is a cockerel. Yay!

6. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I hope you have plenty of other hens and pullets to go with those 2 existing "roosters" Multiple roosters in a flock can be very hard on hens and pullets, particularly if they are in fact cockerels in their first flush of hormones(males under a year old) as oppose to mature flock leading roosters.

7. sadieml

sadieml Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2015
    Blythewood SC, USA
    I am definitely no expert, having been fooled more than once by auction birds:eek:, but we have raised cochin bantams, and have a frizzle roo, and this baby is looking like a pullet to me. As @rebrascora said, it's easier to tell at 5 or 6 weeks than 16, but if the comb and wattle development is recent, not 2 months old, I think you're safe.

Just a side-note, unless space or zoning laws prohibit, having a little rooster surprise can be awfully nice in the long run. If hand-raised, roos can be absolutely delightful pets. My DH definitely misses his sweet Roy Rooster, and was thrilled when auction girl Valerie Frizzle turned-out to be a fella.:gig(btw-"Her" name is still Valerie!)

ps-If you can't handle a third roo, you might consider rehoming via Craig's list or just word-of-mouth through friends. If you don't want to send him(or have him sent) to freezer camp, just tell the new owner you don't want to know.:oops:

8. pineapple416

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Yes we have 17 hens. We sold one Silkie cockerel today but he was pretty shy and didn't really breed. Now we just have one Silkie rooster. He has plenty of girls to "manage." Thanks for the info though.

drumstick diva and rebrascora like this.
  9. pineapple416

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Thanks for the information. We live in town and though they don't mind one or two roos they might kill us if we had three crowing every morning. We also don't need that many roosters if we aren't going to breed them. I agree that they can be very sweet though I have had very sweet roos in the past. We just sold one of our Silkie cockerels today so we just have one left. His name is Ollie and he is very sweet, I take him to 4-H events often. We will not send it to freezer camp and would probably keep it now even if it is a cockerel or find it a home with a nice person or 4-H family. No freezer camp for my chickies!

drumstick diva likes this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think it's a pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by