Crossing over--My first processed bird Warning graphic pics!!!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chiknlady, Oct 27, 2008.

1. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    Back in late summer I made the decision to try a batch of meat birds. I have heard such good things about the experience and as I do eat meat and store bought poultry I thought why not.

I grappled with the ethics and the morality and made up my mind. Fate intervened when one of the birds went down on her legs. She was separated and given due space to heal this weekend to no avail and I figured processing her was more like euthanasia.

All told it was not as bad as I expected. I will be going to a hunting supply store as my kitchen knives were not sharp enough and through the experience I learned I want to be quick and decisive so as not to prolong the suffering.

Here is my photo diary...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ready to brine...and enjoy! Thanks for sharing...

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

wtg!

3. chiknlady

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    Thank you!! I am proud of myself...I will never take food/meat for granted again...

4. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I'm proud of you, too.
    I'm trying to get up the nerve....I'm afraid I wouldn't do it right, then increase the suffering.

5. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    [​IMG] Nice work!

6. glassparman

glassparman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    chiknlady, you did good!

I struggled at first as well but have done several dozen now.

It looks like you did it the best way that I know of. If you hang them upside down, many times they pass out. Then you can cut the jugular and they will bleed out properly and won’t even know it’s happening.

Everyone’s grandmother told them stories about snapping their neck or chopping their head off and then watching it run around. That just seems so cruel. Besides, if you sever the spine that way, the heart stops fairly quick and it does not bleed out good.

I try not to make friends with my Jumbo Cornish so it's easier to cull them for food.

Now my Brown sex links that lay like machines . . . I'll have to bury them when they die because they are my pets.

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Wow....you should be extraordinarly proud of yourself. It looks like you did a wonderful job...just how did you get those guts out so nicely anyway? Im sure the first time is the toughest...Im still figuring out how when and where will be the first time I try it. I know I will, I just dont know when...or how. Did you watch anyone do it? Did you have any help or guidance at all?

You did great. Im envious.

8. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Looks good to me. [​IMG] I hope to get me a station outside set up befor ethe end of Nov.

9. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Great job!
    You should be proud.

10. chiknlady

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    Halo--you just have to dive in...I had only cleaned chickens and fish etc before that were already dead and needed to be gutted. It is a hands on job--but after it looked more like a chicken for dinner rather than a chicken free ranging--it was just like preparing another bird for dinner. Even when I get store bought I clean them really good and make sure the "stuff" is out. The entrails came out relatively easy after you slide your fingers around this clear layer of attaching membrane. Then you pull but don't squeeze so it comes out in one pull. All of what I learned I saw here on BYC--I have never prepared a live bird--maybe a lobster but never a mammal. Honestly the feathers were the hardest part,imagine removing every single hair from your entire body. All told it took less than an hour from gathering the bird to rinsing to put into the fridge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by