Crossing Penedesenca x Ameraucana

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Aelphabae, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Aelphabae

Aelphabae New Egg

Aug 8, 2010
    Has anyone ever crossed these breeds? I know that crossing Marans to Ameraucana shows to produce dark green eggs and I'd be curious to see the depth of color on a Penedesenca x Ameraucana pairing.

btw, am new to the boards. I used to have quite a flock some years back when I owned a farm, now living in the city and given my city ordinances I am allowed to have up to five chickens (including roosters!) so am reeducating myself and looking into how I want to start my own miniature flock. [​IMG]

Thanks! [​IMG]

Erica

2. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Check the Olive Eggers thread , I'm pretty sure I saw that cross mentioned .

3. MilkMaid

MilkMaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    I have some Ameraucana chicks and a Penedesenca rooster that I plan on crossing when the chicks are old enough. I will let you know how it turns out later.

4. Alpha

Alpha Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2009
    California
    I don't know about an Ameraucana x Pen cross, but I do have an EE roo that I've crossed with my Wheaten Pen girl. Out of the 5 chicks that hatched, we kept two and gave the others away. One of our girls just recently started laying, and she lays a brown egg. This girl inherited her father's pea comb, but doesn't have the muffs. Our second pullet hasn't started laying yet, but she has both the pea comb and muffs. I can't wait to see what color her eggs will be. This roo definitely carries the blue egg gene however. One of his other daughters (who has a Sicilian Buttercup mother) lays a blue egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by