Crossing two sex linked breeds.

Neither one of those breeds is sex-linked nor auto-sexing as you can't tell the gender from the down color at hatch. Both have chicks with the same down color at hatch, the requirement for the term sex-linking is distinguishable chick down between sexes.

The "sex-linking" you refer to is actually the color differences in the secondary feather patterns (brought on by hormones) between males and females in the breeds. You can see indications of these fairly shortly with juvenile feather growth...ie the Salmon Favorelle males color in differently than the females as do the Dominiques.

Salmon Favorelle hens are salmon with a creamy chest while males have a black chest and beard and a large salmon color block. The chest color triggers early identification.

Dominiques follow the sexing pattern of double barred males and single barred females. In very carefully controlled lines you can see subtle signs of larger head dot in males vs. females, but it is not certain. As the chicks grow out, soon you will see the coloring difference between the double barred vs. the single barred (lighter vs. darker overall tones).

However, again, neither the Favorelle or the Dominique are sex-linked or auto-sexing as that term relates to chick down alone. Their adult feathers are simply gendered colored.

As to your particular question of any sex-linking. You could actually create sex-links with that breed crossing as follows.

If you use a Salmon Favorelle rooster over a Dominique hen, you will get sex-linked chicks. All male chicks will be black with a white head dot (barring to follow) and all females will be all black with no head dot. You will in essence create a home brew of Black Sex Links. This will happen only the first generation using the pure Favorelle and Dominique parents.

However, if you use a male Dominique over a Salmon Favorelle hen, you will get 100% all barred birds, both genders, no sex linking.

No matter the pairing, the black base of the Dominique will overtake the Salmon coloring in almost all cases so chicks will be black...you may get an occasional wheaten throw back, either gender.

The barring will be dominant, but as it is sex linked, you want to use that with your female parent (Dominique) over the non-barred parent (Favorelle) to allow for the barring to follow gender lines to create sex linking.** (See explanation below if interested)

You should get healthy birds...with some comb funk. You've got a rose comb (Dominique) with a single comb (Favorelle). The rose comb is dominant, so you should see pretty much 100% form of rose comb in the chicks. Sometimes big floppy single combs can give the rose some funk, but Favorelles are smaller, so you should have fairly decent rose combs.

Be interesting to see what the toe formation will be...5 toes can be dominant but not always.

Beard and muffs will pass somewhat the first generation but tend to drop out subsequent generations.

You should have good layers, not so good meat birds. Temperament should be good.

Happy project:D
LofMc

**Sex linking gentics
In chickens females are ZW while males are ZZ. The Z is the long chromosome and carries certain color patterns like barring. The W is the short chromosome and determines gender.

Each parent gives 1 chromosome to the offspring...it is 50/50 which chromosome is delievered.

If you have a dominant color patterned Z over a non-dominant color pattern Z, the dominant pattern is exhibited...ie the barring is displayed.

That is why you chose a dominant color pattern female over a non-dominant pattern male so that the Z pattern follows the boys...a Z from mom dominant and a Z from dad non-dominant and the girls gets mom non-patterned W with whatever secondary feather colors to display against dad's Z base colors...usually black trumps most other colors.

Last edited:
Cool! I will be using a faverolles rooster with a dom hen so good to know the chicks will indeed be sex linked. I'm going to be hatching a brood for my mil and honestly just trying to see what I could possibly come up with for her. Project with a purpose, of course I'm not above keeping one or two for myself I've still got space. Thank you so much for your insight. :)

You're welcome.

(And of course you realize I simplified things a bit as there is still more to it, but you get black sex links with the pairing you want).

Nice project for you and your MIL :D

Back
Top Bottom