1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

crossing

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by birdman1994, Dec 5, 2012.

1. birdman1994

birdman1994 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    surry county
    I looked on google and different places and could find every breed of chicken known to man but i cant find any websites with a collection of different breed crossings like what two breeds' babies will look like any suggestions. iv tried a lot of crossings to figure it out for myself but sometimes it doesent turn out very well and had to put down some unhealthy birds.

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    such place does not exist, but you can ask any specific question here and I´ll help you out

3. What breed combinations made 'bad crosses' that needed to be put down? I can't imagine that any would.

4. birdman1994

Dec 1, 2012
    surry county
    well i tried crossing a barred rock roo and a silkie hen and it was almost like the silkie egg was to small and it started cracking before the chicks were developed and the ones that did hatch couldent walk right and a few died the first few days and the rest dident last much over a week

5. birdman1994

Dec 1, 2012
    surry county
    its the saddest situation iv delt with in my experience with chickens

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    large fowl barred rock? Trying the cross the other way (so that the egg is larger from the largefowl mama) would work better. I've had silkie X barred rocks that had no problems.whatsoever.

7. birdman1994

Dec 1, 2012
    surry county
    yeah i beleive it would have turn out better the other way do u have any pictures of that cross?

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Sounds like an incubation problem, not the mixing. I hatched a ton of Marans over d'Uccle chicks over the summer and not one cracked during incubation not one died after. Silkies are way bigger then d'Uccles, egg wish also. This was an accidental match up as I had a young cockerel get in a hole in my d'Uccle pen that I didn't know was there. They are the cutest chicks.
    [​IMG]

9. birdman1994

Dec 1, 2012
    surry county
    those are very cute... i hatched twenty game chickens out of the same incubater that round and they all did fine.

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Well I give then. Maybe the eggs were not strong enough. I'm interested in knowing if anyone else had the same problem like yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by