Crouching, Squatting, and Backing-Up / Walking Backwards excessively

BonNuit

Songster
Jul 20, 2020
Northeastern Ohio
My hen, Ruby, has always been lowest in the pecking order of 13 hens (with a roo) -- and more "sensitive" to new things. She has always crouched a lot and will walk/move backwards when she has a new apron put on, is nervous, etc. -- it has seemed to be her way of showing submission.

However, about 4 days ago I noticed it was far more than usual -- she was crouching a lot and moving backwards frequently. Other than that, nothing else was odd -- eating, drinking, acting normally -- so I decided it was likely because she's been either molting a bit, getting pecked more due to the colder weather/cooped up more, or the combination of the two. I treated any areas of missing feathers, changed her apron, checked to make sure she wasn't egg bound, and added more vitamins to their drinking water.

No change. I bought some Rooster Booster Poultry cell and ordered some Vitamin E (200 IU) -- just in case it's caused by a vitamin deficiency. Just came this morning. However, I noticed that another RIR, Henrietta is doing something similar. She isn't low on the pecking order. This isn't typical of her. Just like Ruby -- she's eating and acting normal otherwise.

Fed them all tuna, scrambled eggs, and pumpkin seeds (for Vitamin E) with breakfast. I will add the rooster booster poultry cell to their water this afternoon. Not sure how they'd have a Vitamin deficiency -- but I know it can be the cause?

Here's the answers to all the questions in the FAQ -- please let me know if I should be doing something else, or if anyone with more experience has any ideas.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
First chicken: Ruby -- Rhode Island Red, 1 year+7 months old, normal weight and appetite. Lowest on pecking order.
Second chicken: just started this morning Henrietta -- Rhode Island Red, 1 year+ 7 months, normal weight and appetite. Mid-pecking order.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Has always been lowest in pecking order thus squatted a lot sometimes backed up, and generally more timid. However, she is squatting more and moving backwards even more. Normal appetite and still runs to join group etc.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
It has been far more pronounced the last 3 to 4 days.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
This morning, another one of my RIR hens appears to be doing the same thing -- which is completely atypical.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No -- with the exception of pecking marks due to it being winter and some molting, etc. She wears a protective apron.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Unknown. Thought at first the increase of crouching with moving backwards was the result of some molting and some more pecking due to the colder weather, less light, and the stress of all this together.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
All 13 hens and Otis the Roo are eating normally, drinking well, and running over for treats, etc.

Feed: Nutrena NatureWIse All Flock Pellets (on demand) with oyster shell separately. They currently get 5-grain scratch at night to round them all up in the run when it's getting dark, and they have a "Flock Block" in their coop during the day to give them something to do other than peck each other when weather is crappy.

They do not act "sick" -- with the exception of more crouching and walking/moving backwards that normal by Ruby and the onset of that behavior by Henrietta for the first time this morning.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
No abnormal feces has been noted.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Checked Ruby originally to make sure she wasn't egg-bound. Keep in mind, she always crouches a lot and will move backwards when stressed (such as putting on a new apron, when nervous, etc) --so I wasn't overly concerned at first.
Treated any missing feather areas (considered pecking might have caused issue?) with feather picking/purple crap. Added Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes to water. This morning, I got out the Rooster Booster Poultry Cell to give to both hens (haven't done yet) and fed them all tuna fish, scrambled eggs, and pumpkin seeds.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I'd like to treat myself -- I do not have a poultry vet anywhere close to me.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
N/A

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
10 x 13 shed with full floor, pine pellets on base and pine shavings over top. Bales of straw (2 to 3 high) in the furthest end only around the corners (center open) -- secondary coop is small and in their completely enclosed run. During the day (7 to about 5:30 during winter) they have run of .75 acres in the backyard that is completely fenced in for them with access to the run, the coops and two additional covered areas.

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE or HELP in advance. <3

My hen, Ruby, has always been lowest in the pecking order of 13 hens (with a roo) -- and more "sensitive" to new things. She has always crouched a lot and will walk/move backwards when she has a new apron put on, is nervous, etc. -- it has seemed to be her way of showing submission.

However, about 4 days ago I noticed it was far more than usual -- she was crouching a lot and moving backwards frequently. Other than that, nothing else was odd -- eating, drinking, acting normally -- so I decided it was likely because she's been either molting a bit, getting pecked more due to the colder weather/cooped up more, or the combination of the two. I treated any areas of missing feathers, changed her apron, checked to make sure she wasn't egg bound, and added more vitamins to their drinking water.

No change. I bought some Rooster Booster Poultry cell and ordered some Vitamin E (200 IU) -- just in case it's caused by a vitamin deficiency. Just came this morning. However, I noticed that another RIR, Henrietta is doing something similar. She isn't low on the pecking order. This isn't typical of her. Just like Ruby -- she's eating and acting normal otherwise.

Fed them all tuna, scrambled eggs, and pumpkin seeds (for Vitamin E) with breakfast. I will add the rooster booster poultry cell to their water this afternoon. Not sure how they'd have a Vitamin deficiency -- but I know it can be the cause?

Here's the answers to all the questions in the FAQ -- please let me know if I should be doing something else, or if anyone with more experience has any ideas.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
First chicken: Ruby -- Rhode Island Red, 1 year+7 months old, normal weight and appetite. Lowest on pecking order.
Second chicken: just started this morning Henrietta -- Rhode Island Red, 1 year+ 7 months, normal weight and appetite. Mid-pecking order.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Has always been lowest in pecking order thus squatted a lot sometimes backed up, and generally more timid. However, she is squatting more and moving backwards even more. Normal appetite and still runs to join group etc.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
It has been far more pronounced the last 3 to 4 days.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
This morning, another one of my RIR hens appears to be doing the same thing -- which is completely atypical.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No -- with the exception of pecking marks due to it being winter and some molting, etc. She wears a protective apron.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Unknown. Thought at first the increase of crouching with moving backwards was the result of some molting and some more pecking due to the colder weather, less light, and the stress of all this together.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
All 13 hens and Otis the Roo are eating normally, drinking well, and running over for treats, etc.

Feed: Nutrena NatureWIse All Flock Pellets (on demand) with oyster shell separately. They currently get 5-grain scratch at night to round them all up in the run when it's getting dark, and they have a "Flock Block" in their coop during the day to give them something to do other than peck each other when weather is crappy.

They do not act "sick" -- with the exception of more crouching and walking/moving backwards that normal by Ruby and the onset of that behavior by Henrietta for the first time this morning.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
No abnormal feces has been noted.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Checked Ruby originally to make sure she wasn't egg-bound. Keep in mind, she always crouches a lot and will move backwards when stressed (such as putting on a new apron, when nervous, etc) --so I wasn't overly concerned at first.
Treated any missing feather areas (considered pecking might have caused issue?) with feather picking/purple crap. Added Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes to water. This morning, I got out the Rooster Booster Poultry Cell to give to both hens (haven't done yet) and fed them all tuna fish, scrambled eggs, and pumpkin seeds.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I'd like to treat myself -- I do not have a poultry vet anywhere close to me.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
N/A

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
10 x 13 shed with full floor, pine pellets on base and pine shavings over top. Bales of straw (2 to 3 high) in the furthest end only around the corners (center open) -- secondary coop is small and in their completely enclosed run. During the day (7 to about 5:30 during winter) they have run of .75 acres in the backyard that is completely fenced in for them with access to the run, the coops and two additional covered areas.

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE or HELP in advance. <3
Is she moving her neck at all? Side to side, or laying her head on her back?

Is she moving her neck at all? Side to side, or laying her head on her back?
Both of them move their necks seemingly normally. They don't seem stiff or odd particularly? However, they seem slightly disoriented, for lack of a better description. They are eating and drinking well.

Today I gave each of them 600 IUs of Vitamin E via soft gels I squeezed directly into their mouths. They are separated in the covered run with their own mini-coop -- drinking Rooster Booster Poultry Cell in their water and eating tuna and All-Flock.

However, they are no better.

Both of them move their necks seemingly normally. They don't seem stiff or odd particularly? However, they seem slightly disoriented, for lack of a better description. They are eating and drinking well.

Today I gave each of them 600 IUs of Vitamin E via soft gels I squeezed directly into their mouths. They are separated in the covered run with their own mini-coop -- drinking Rooster Booster Poultry Cell in their water and eating tuna and All-Flock.

However, they are no better.
Could it be wry neck? I would try giving them selenium and calcium to see if that works.

Could it be wry neck? I would try giving them selenium and calcium to see if that works.
I thought perhaps? -- although it's hard to imagine how they are deficient when they eat a decent All Flock diet? -- and I am supplementing them with the Vitamin E, rooster booster, and a vitamin additive in their water... so it's a mystery indeed!

I would take off the aprons immediately. When molting, the pin feathers pierce through their skin which is quite painful for them, so they try to avoid any contact even with their fellow flock mates.
Leaving the aprons on will cause continuous pain which they strive to avoid by moving backwards etc.

Last edited:
I would take off the aprons immediately. When molting, the pin feathers pierce through their skin which is quite painful for them, so they try avoid any contact even with their fellow flock mates.
Leaving the aprons on will cause continuous pain which they strive to avoid be moving backwards etc.
Omg. I will remove them tomorrow morning and see if that’s the cause!

I would take off the aprons immediately. When molting, the pin feathers pierce through their skin which is quite painful for them, so they try avoid any contact even with their fellow flock mates.
Leaving the aprons on will cause continuous pain which they strive to avoid be moving backwards etc.
Not sure if the Vitamin E and Rooster Booster is finally helping, but removing the aprons this morning HAS made an appreciable difference! Neither is completely back to normal -- but there is definite improvement.

You may well be a chicken genius! Thank you from Ruby and Henrietta, too. <3

THANK YOU SO MUCH -- the experience of others here is certainly invaluable.

Not sure if the Vitamin E and Rooster Booster is finally helping, but removing the aprons this morning HAS made an appreciable difference! Neither is completely back to normal -- but there is definite improvement.

You may well be a chicken genius! Thank you from Ruby and Henrietta, too. <3

THANK YOU SO MUCH -- the experience of others here is certainly invaluable.
You're welcome, I am glad that they feel much better. :)

Molting will already make them feel somewhat sickly and they often are rather cranky and very fussy eaters during this time.

Last edited:
You're welcome, I am glad that they feel much better. :)

Molting will already make them feel somewhat sickly and they often are rather cranky and very fussy eaters during this time.
Just wanted to update because perhaps it may help others who may experience this issue, when searching for answers -- and, also because I hate when someone posts an issue, and then never lets those who've helped know the outcome!

While I have continued to supplement Vitamin E (to the whole flock, as a precaution) and Rooster Booster (alternating days) -- removing the aprons on these two hens seems to have been the overarching issue that caused the odd behavior that seemed like "wry" neck, etc.

Thank you again for such practical advice from your experience. It is greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom