Crow eating eggs problem D:

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by magicpigeon, Jul 30, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    For a week now I've been battling this crow who is stealing our chickens eggs. I have not resorted to traps yet of any kind and have been trying to get to the eggs faster than the bird can. Unfortunately they are smarter than I gave credit for and are now here almost 24/7 to get the eggs before I do !! I think it is illegal to shoot these bird here or kill them since they are native... maybe I can trap it. The chickens free range and lay their eggs in terracotta pots I put instrategic areas ... here is a pic of the crow:

[​IMG]

It's also been taking twigs et cetera to build a nest nearby, there could be 2 birds but they both look the same to me so... [​IMG] I have no idea [​IMG]

Ideas/suggestions? [​IMG]

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    we have a rather liberal hunting season on them here it was easy getting rid of the ones I had if you google starling trap you could probably just increase the size of the opening on the trap shown. I had to choose between the crows or hawks and owls I much prefer the hawks and owls. I raise bob white quail and the crows were trying to steal the quail eggs that and they will kill baby song birds that is enough reason for me to rid myself of them

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I don't think that crows are a protected species. I think you could probably shoot it/them especially if it looks like they are getting ready to set up a nest.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I think there's a law here in Texas about blasting crows. But if their being a nuisance like eating chicken eggs, are eating your crops you can blast away. I honestly doubt that any game warden would mind.

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:I'm just worried the chickens are stupid enough to walk into the trap too. Poison? [​IMG]

6. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    you can shoot them year round here in ME. i say shoot it and if the police ask it was endangering your livestock.

7. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    however hawks are a problem in my area and crows keep hawks away. i have a family of 12 crows that live at my house and they try their best to scare the hawks away. they are actually quite friendly towards my chickens. they perch on top of the chickens run.

8. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    I didn't see, but is the O.P. in Australia? They mentioned that the crows are "native" and thus somehow protected. Most places in the US crows are fair game for shooting etc if caught damaging crops, so I assume egg stealing is a shootin' crime.

My thought is you may need to exclude the crows somehow. Like when hawks are bedeviling us Yanks at migration time, fencing may be the only option.

9. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    I mean the only LEGAL option. Besides, the pen and fence is on duty 24/7.

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I'm just worried the chickens are stupid enough to walk into the trap too. Poison? [​IMG]

the ones I have seen used the birds get in at the top

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by