Crow joins my flock???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chicken Lil, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Chicken Lil

Chicken Lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    This weekend was so warm that all the ice and snow finally melted in my yard. My ladies were so happy to run around, as when there is snow on the gound they prefer to stay in the coop.

So both days they were happily running around the yard when a crow came and started strutting around my hens. We of course watched, and found it hysterical as the crow was acting like a chicken. Even my neighbors, who can see my side yard from thier living room, called to tell me how funny this crow was.

This silly crow hung out for about a half hour each day than just flew away.

I thought crows were aggressive toward chickens. Has anyone else ever had this happen? And what do I do if he keeps joining my flock?[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I never had problems with crows. I like them around cuz they keep the hawks at bay. He was just lonely. [​IMG]

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Dogs around here chase any non-chicken bird away, so i've never experienced it

4. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Are you sure he wasn't hoping for a hand out? Food is scarce this time of year-- even for crows. [​IMG]

5. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    He was probably asking them where they are laying their eggs at so later on he can eat them.
    In N.H.,Tony.

6. Chicken Lil

Nov 14, 2008
    Perhaps he was looking for a handout, as our yard has many bird feeders and I did put out a bunch of fresh greens and apples for my girls. But the weird thing was he looked like he was strutting.

When my dogs went out they completely ignored him, the way they ignore my chickens. Usually they chase everything else out of the yard.[​IMG]

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i dont have crows but a million sparrows that look for hand outs. I stopped feeding the ducks scratch and give them dry kibbles for dogs. problem solved birds mooch off other people.

8. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    That's funny! Check for lice though-dang wild birds keep my girls exposed to lice.

9. Chicken Lil

Nov 14, 2008
    Thanks CoffeeMama, had not thought about lice. I'll have to treat the hen house and their dust holes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  10. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Can catch more then lice/mites.. wild birds bring in all kinds of diseases. which is why its not a bright idea to feed 24/7 (like most people do).. unless of course its in a spot completely closed off to anything except chickens.. With all the extra feed lying around birds come to join in

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by