1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crow the Rooster and his adventures in his farm

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by farm316, Dec 3, 2014.

1. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Hello, I will be updating a lot about what's going on with crow...

Crow is an americauna/easter egger- Rooster.. He is now 6months and I have only seen him mate once, He was an issue for us because he crowed a lot. We got the no-crow-collar, nope it didn't work[​IMG] we decided to try a zip-tie it works!!! He can now stay at our house because he doesn't crow very loud.. We kept him in with our ducks for about 3 months, because we wanted them too breed, but we figured out that he really wasn't happy. Doing more research I decided that It might be safe for him to join our other flock of 17 hens, we put him in with them today and everything is fine. Fights occurred a little bit between him and the hens to establish the 'pecking order' I think they still are trying to work it out. Right now he is attached with his hen that he has been raised with, And isn't interacting with the rest of the flock.. You have to give him some credit he really hasn't been able to be the Rooster I know that he can be, since he stayed with his female in the duck coop!! He can protect them, and everything he does.. But why isn't he interacting with them very much[​IMG]?? He only stays with his female and goes wherever she goes…

Here is Crow by himself
    [​IMG]
    And here is crow with his Mate She is an Americauna
    [​IMG]

He is such a good boy, I would hate too see something happen to him!
    I will update later.. If you like this thread, please subscribe to get notified immediately for my next update!

farm316

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Very nice!

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Crow is a handsome rooster. I think he will adjust to the flock soon.

I'm glad I live far enough away from neighbors, because I like to hear my roosters crow.

4. farm316

Jul 28, 2014
    Thanks guys...

UPDATE!!

Crow is now breeding with one single hen constantly, I have seen him breed with her 3 times already, I think that he adjusting very nicely. I wonder why he doesn't mate with his hen that he follows forever in a day. (I will post pics later).. We let him free-range today, but tomorrow is no free ranging..

I wil post more tomorrow, Night-Night

Farm316

5. cglessner

cglessner Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    Burnt Cabins PA
    He's beautiful!!!

6. farm316

Jul 28, 2014
    Yes, I am so fortunate to have such beautiful rooster…. Would you like me too do kinda like updates on him and his farm?

7. cglessner

cglessner Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    Burnt Cabins PA
    I sure would like to hear about him. I have 4 roosters: one very v tiny banty, 1 medium size banty and 2 large roosters. They crow all the time and I love to hear it. It's sad that Crow has to be quiet.

8. farm316

Jul 28, 2014
    Well, If crow was loud, he'd have to go to a different friend and loose his flock.. I think he is happy to not have his voice then to be culled, or taken away

9. farm316

Jul 28, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Here is a small bit of Crows ladies… But not all.. They are enjoying to be out and about eating food,bugs.

[​IMG]
    This is the hens favorite place to diet bathe! For in the morning they get the sun on them and its just right!

10. farm316

Jul 28, 2014
    Update; We actually got rid of crow:( Because he got to loud, so We sold him to some wonderful nice people.. I hated to see him go away but it was best for us and him.. The lady's are doing awesome tho.. I will try to post some more pics later

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by