Attachments

• 89FB4D13-00BC-4802-9BBC-F67A7BC2AEEA.jpeg
    89FB4D13-00BC-4802-9BBC-F67A7BC2AEEA.jpeg
    635.8 KB · Views: 8
  • B1529792-804F-45EC-ABCB-D993FF7640EE.jpeg
    B1529792-804F-45EC-ABCB-D993FF7640EE.jpeg
    775.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
So I just looked my my other chickens wings to see if any of them are different and they all looked the same to me. Does feather sexing only work when they are chicks?
Feather sexing (wings) does not work at all on most chickens.

Some chickens have a gene for growing their feathers quickly, others have a gene for growing feathers slowly. If someone makes the right cross between two parent types, they get feather-sexable chicks in that generation only. For all other cases, the wing feathers will not tell you the sex of the chicks. The people who post those helpful diagrams all over the internet tend not to mention that it doesn't work on most chickens!

For the cases when feather sexing does work, you can only tell by the wings for a few days. For some weeks two after that, you can tell them apart because the males grow all of their feathers much slower, so they look partly-naked while their sisters feather out much faster. Once they all have a full set of feathers, there is no way to tell the fast-feathering ones apart from the slow-feathering ones unless you breed them and look at their chicks to see what feathering speed they have.

By the time the first cockerels start crowing, it's usually easier to tell by looking at combs & wattles (males have bigger, redder combs and wattles than females, usually by that age and all later ages.)

Back
Top Bottom