Crowding on one end of roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mdquilts, May 23, 2019.

1. mdquilts

mdquilts Chirping

Mar 26, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Our chickens have been in their new coop for a few weeks now and often do a pig pile on one end of the roost. I don’t think they do it all night since there is poop on other parts of the poop board. Is this normal? Should I care?

Attached Files:

2. Roo5

Roo5 Songster

Feb 17, 2019
    Missouri
    I guess it’s normal,they probably get warm and move during the night,Ive had young birds do this.Especially when added to the flock,they feel safer stuck together.

3. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    I have 4 preadult chickens and 3 juveniles, there is 2 roosts in my coop presently. All 7 sleep on one roost squished together, completely normal.

4. CityslickerHomestead

CityslickerHomestead Songster

Apr 5, 2019
    Montana
    Mine are nine weeks old and jump in a dog pile every night. The coop is outside and nighttime temps are now ranging from mid 30s to mid 40s.

mdquilts and DobieLover like this.
  5. Lizzy733

Lizzy733 Chirping

Nov 13, 2018
    New Zealand
    They're all good friends; in the dark they can't really see so there's a bit of emotional comfort knowing your broodmates are right there with you. You may see them start to get a bit pushy when they come into lay though. At least it makes spot cleaning for poop that much easier. Mine only use about a fifth of their roost space.

6. mdquilts

mdquilts Chirping

Mar 26, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Thank you for the responses. Now I’m curious and will check to see if it’s always the same one at the odd bottom spot or maybe it’s the coveted spot. Chickens are so funny! :p

CityslickerHomestead likes this.
  7. Virginia and James

Virginia and James Songster

Dec 20, 2017
    Western North Carolina
    What goofballs.
    Ours have decided to live in a small coop, and make a blanket out of each other.
    Wish we could be this comfortable!:D

8. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    My hens are between two and five years old and they still do it. There is a window that runs along the middle third of the roost and they seem to snuggle along the ends of the roost regardless of whether it is open or closed, and regardless of the season or temperature or humidity. Of course when it is very cold they will huddle more but even in warm weather that spot next to the wall in the corner is everyone's favorite spot. Goofballs!

mdquilts likes this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes and No.

mdquilts likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: