Crowing 5 week chick??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JesseK, Apr 5, 2012.

1. JesseK

JesseK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    IA
    Hi everyone,
    I've been lurking in the shadows for a few months, but have finally registered so I can ask the pros a question [​IMG]

I have 5 week old chicks - 1 black australorp, 1 white wyndotte, 1 buff orp, 1 partridge rock.

They are all doing wonderfully. I can't believe how much fun I'm having with them.

My question is - they are all supposed to be female. Pearl, the black australorp, is the leader of the pack. Everytime I go down to the basement she jumps on the waterer and eyes me carefully. But within the last week, she has started what sounds like crowing!! It's a pretty pathetic attempt at a crow...

I've read up as much as possible about it...I've read that some hens will take on the roll of the rooster with crowing and being defensive. But at 5 weeks?? It's possible that she is really he, but is there any way to tell that at this age?? If she is a rooster I'll have to give her away, since I live in town. I'd rather do that sooner than later because I'm already getting really attached.

Do I just wait until she is older to tell if she is a she or a he? If she is a she with identity issues, will she crow forever?

Thank you!!!

2. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there and Welcome! If that chicken is Pearl in your picture, I am no expert, but that looks like a REALLY red comb for being 5 weeks old. I'd say Roo. From what I hear the sexing is never 100%.

3. JesseK

JesseK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    IA
    I was wondering about that... I didn't know if it was just because she is a different breed, but yes, very red comb. If I were to trade Pearl for a 5 week old female, would there be any issues introducing a chick at this point?

4. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

I added 3 more when all of mine were 4 weeks old. I didn't have a problem. Most say keep separate for 30 days as a quarantine period and so they can get used to seeing each other. I introduced mine the same day. I'm using a portacrib as a brooder. (It's working out really well.) I kept watch on them though just to make sure there was no fighting. They did a little chasing of each other and a some pecking but nothing really harsh. They are all doing well together! Ultimately it's up to you if you want to put the new one in right away or keep separate but with in view of each other. My thought was they were young enough to be accepting of one another.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by