Crowing @ 7 Days Old...There's One in Every Batch Lately

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Jul 16, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

One of the Blue Orpingtons (from Korfus Kluckers) is crowing. Seven days old, not the absolute earliest I've had one do it, but pretty darn early, nonetheless! I once had an Ameraucana crow at five days old. And this is one I knew was a cockerel anyway due to it being the size of a little Tonka tank toy, LOL. Now, if it had been one of the others I wouldn't have guessed was a cockerel, I'd have banded that baby for future reference. I love it when they declare themselves early on.

2. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Don't you just love it when they do that? I think it's one of the most hilarious sounds in the world. [​IMG]

I've got a junior crower in my six-week old bunch of Dels, but I don't know which one it is. He's been cagey about it so far.

3. speckledhen

The precocious little ones are the best. One of my 12 week olds is dancing for the ladies and has been play-mating them for about a month already. My youngest Barred Rock cockerel just crowed for the first time today-what a tiny squeak! It wasn't as tiny as the little "buh-REEEET" crow from the brooder, though.

4. Rogue_Woman

Rogue_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    NC
    Amazing! I've got a 3 month old delaware roo and a 3 month old barred rock roo, neither of which is crowing...or maybe I'm wrong? They have awfully big and red combs and wattles though to be hens, especially compared to thier clutch mates, and the BR is super barred and light compared to the other...
    ...maybe I should start another thread with pics.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I didn't even know that was possible!!! [​IMG]

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It's always so fun to listen to those new crowers!

7. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    How cute! You should post a video clip of it!

8. speckledhen

I'd love to do a video, but I only have one of those huge old video cameras whose battery is permanently dead. Wish I could, though. I'll ask my DH if there's any way by just plugging it somehow.

9. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    Do you have a digital camera that takes video? That's what I use. It's not the greatest quality, but it still works ok.

10. speckledhen

Nope, mine is a pretty simple older digital, no movies. Naturally, if I sat down there with a camera on him, he wouldn't open his little beak, LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by