Crowing at 7 weeks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lauriejill, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Lauriejill

Lauriejill New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    San Diego County
    I am brand new to this site and to chicken keeping ....but I am already in love with my girls!!! I got 8 chicks from MPC but only one was supposedly sexed (the brahma) I have 4 silkies, two easter eggers, 1 brahma and one unknown. One of my easter eggers started crowing at 7 weeks. Is this usual for the breed? I cannot have any roosters where I live (suburbs, CA.). Now I am worried that there are several roosters. At what age do they usually start to crow? Thanks for your help.

LJ

2. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

My EE started crowing at 9 weeks and has not missed a day in the past 2 years. This morning my 9 week old Buff Brahma pullet let rip something between a gargle and a crow. "She' seemed quite pleased with 'herself'.

3. Lauriejill

Lauriejill New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    San Diego County
    Thats funny I didn't know pullets crowed..........this IS confounding me. Very Interesting. There is alot to learn. Thanks

LJ

4. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    can start crowing from 6 weeks to 26 weeks or later, my EE started crowing at 24 weeks, once he started he didnt stop, i live in Sacramento, in my suburb, no roosters so gave it to a friend who lives in Fair Oaks where they can have roosters.

5. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    no pullets dont crow, the above poster put the she in "", she thought it was SUPPOSED to be a pullet but like most people, she has found that her pullet has ended up as a rooster

6. Brown Farmer

Brown Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    Have not seen pullets crow. However, I once had an older hen who stopped laying, began crowing and made rooster like advances at other hens.
    I once heard a strange sound come from a batch of 2 days old. While I watched, one of them took up the stance of a crowing rooster and let out the strange sound. It was quite comfortable doing it. It soon grew out of it and was not traceable.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sexing is only 90% accurate. If it's crowing at 7 weeks, it's a boy. And no, it's not unusual for them to crow at that age. My main rooster started crowing at 4 DAYS old.

8. Marshchick

Marshchick Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Marshfield, MA
    Looks MPC owes you one girl chicken!

9. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I'm waiting to see if any of my sexed pullets (now 7-weeks old) are cockerels. I have ten. As the mod mentioned above, sexing is 90% accurate, so odds are I have one cockerel in the group, albeit I can't see it and haven't heard a crow yet. [​IMG]

(I can't begin to tell pullets from cockerels until they're about ten-weeks old. If there's a boy in the bunch, I wish he'd hurry up and crow so I'll know!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by