Crowing at night? Help! I think my chicken may be ill.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Neilette, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neilette

Neilette Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I posted recently about a crowing pullet. Well, I'm hearing her crowing outside now, and it's almost midnight! I thought she just was hormonal pullet, top of the pecking order, no roosters around, crowing. But at night? When she "crows", she looks uncomfortable and she's been getting progressively more lethargic. That's how I would feel if I were hormonal -- however... Now I'm imagining air sac diseases, or tumors, or... I don't know what to be afraid of! Please help me understand what could be causing this. I won't sleep well until I do.

Thank you for any advice you can spare.

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure about hormonal causes, but looking at the obvious, roosters will crow when they see or hear something that they feel might be a threat to their flock. I'm not sure how different it wouldn't be for a hen fulfilling the same role. I've also never heard of crowing hens being more prone to sickness. But this is not my department. With hope, you will come across someone with more experience on the topic.

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My current 4 Roosters crow day and night. It's not uncommon for them to crow at night occasionally. There are neighbors a 1/2 mile away with chickens that on a calm day you can here their roosterÂ’s crow--mine hear that and crow back, I suppose it's a territory thing.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Closed due to cross-posting...

Please continue the conversation here. Thanks! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by