Crowing at Night ??!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick0dee, Mar 12, 2012.

1. chick0dee

chick0dee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    Any ideas why (oh why) my Roo crows at night?? At first I thought it was the full moon, but Noooooooooooooooooo.....

Is he dreaming? or is it a warning call to something in the dark??[​IMG]

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

You aren't one of those people who believe a rooster is supposed to crow when the sun comes up, are ya? LOL, welcome to the real world. Roosters crow 24/7 when they feel like it. Sorry to break the news to ya like that.........Pop

3. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Yup X2 ours sometimes crow at 2:30 am [​IMG]

4. joshyoua_rine

joshyoua_rine Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    t-ville, NC
    thats y i switched to bantams kind of, alot quieter crow

5. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    My bantam crows all night long...and he is loud..lol...it's funny how they all have thier own personality!

6. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    My roo crows whenever the mood strikes him. And he has a horrible gravely weird crow. My neighbors complained for a couple of months then got used to it. We're zoned for livestock so not much they could do. I do find he crows less at night if he is locked inside the coop.

7. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    My roosters start crowing around 2 or 3 am. Once one starts they all do for about 10 minutes. They will start up again every half hour or so.

I tried covering the windows of the coop so no light got in - but it did not make a difference. If they can hear another rooster crowing in the distance they will reply. Don't have any idea what they are saying to one another!

I find it strange that the roosters are quite alert and awake at night, but the hens are like zombies. Lazy things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by