Crowing Australorp Hen or Rooster??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dollychickens, Feb 17, 2014.

1. dollychickens

dollychickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    I have two groups of chickens. The first group are two Orpington(brother and sister), the second group are three Australorp & Australorp X. I live in the city and the local city council does not allow have roosters, so I found a new home for my Orpington boy.

After the depart of my Orpington boy, the next morning I found my black Australorp and my Orpington girl are both crowing !!! Both of them stand on top of chair and stretch their neck try to scream, the sound is not really a full rooster sound, a bit like mixed male duck/goose/hen sound. And I have found they only doing that a few times in the morning, day and afternoon is fine. I haven't seen my Orpington doing that again this morning, but the black Australorp still did it a few times .

I have post another thread earlier, most feedback I got assumed my black Australorp is a girl. I am 100% sure my Orpington is a girl because I have obvious compare with her brother. I put them into bed inside coop at night time, but as soon as I let them out in the morning my black Australorp will start crowing. Other than that I think she pretty much look like a pullet to me, even the little noise she make sounds like a hen noise. Her behaviour is like a hen as well, most of the time she laying on the ground, and she is not very active(like my Orpington boy).

I have read in some occasion a hen will took over a rooster's place when there's no male in the flock, but my black Australorp is not top of the rank, my Orpington girl is the 2IC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My questions are:
    1. Is my Australorp a hen or rooster? (I cant really tell by looking at comb, hackle/saddle feather)

2. How can I stop them doing that in the morning?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Pullet. It will either stop "crowing" on it's own or not.

3. PimentoPlymouth

PimentoPlymouth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Looks like a pullett to me. Still shouldn't have to get rid of her anyway due to fact she is a she.

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    It's a male, sorry. I outlined the relevant feathering in the red circles in the image. No doubt about it. Cockerel.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    How old?? I agree it looks like a young rooster

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Age is key here. How old is the bird? If younger than 4ish months, then rooster. If older, hen.

7. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    Like Donrae said, age is the key factor.Right now I am leaning more roo due to the pointy hackle feathers and shiny beetle green overall feather color.

8. Definitely a rooster. I see pointy saddle feathers, sorry which means male.

9. Oh and, there really isn't any way to prevent a rooster from crowing. All roosters crow.

10. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    At first I though pullet but I'm leaning toward cockerel. The wing area says roo to me also. Like others have said, age will help greatly. I think I see saddle feathers coming in well too.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by