crowing behaviors/meaning

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Angiebubs, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I have a 3 1/2 month old rooster that is developing his crow (so cute!). I also have 1 other rooster (possibly an additional 2 more-still unconfirmed). I have a few questions about this:
    -If there are multiple roosters-will they all crow equally? Or does the dominant rooster crow more/louder etc?
    -What effect does crowing have on the hens? Is this like a guy flexing in front of a group of teenage girls?
    -So far :Donny Boy" is still lower in te pecking order than the mature hens-when will they acknowledge him as their roo?
    -Do other roos take crowing as any sort of challenge?
    -Currently Doonie Boy only crows first thng in the morning a few times-as he matures-will the frequncy increase?
    -My two lil banty pullets absolutely love Donnie Boy-when he lays downthey preen him and worship him-is this normal Will there be any issues with this bond since the bantys are so tiny and hes a large BR?
    Thanks in advance!!

2. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I am not a rooster expert, but I can tell you what ours do - we have 4, 1 is apart from the others in a separate coop/run. See my bold responses below:

Quote:

3. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Thanks Anne-"chicken TV" is just so interesting and always raises more questions. I get so excited over the crowing-sure it will eventually get old lol But right now I praise Donnie when he crows and I swear he gets excited with the praise and does it again. When I don;t praise him he pretty much stops.

4. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Ours are like dogs - they crow whenever anyone drives into the driveway, and also crow when the dogs bark....even in the middle of the night! Our neighbors have all told us how much they enjoy the noise - helps that I give them free eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by