Crowing, but 1 egg per chicken a day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sweetlilbaby, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    This morning I woke up early morning to crowing, i ran out (and it's cold!) to see who it was and they all were looking at me like "what are you doing out here" Couldn't find which it was. But I have 5 chickens and often get 5 eggs a day. How am I getting one that is crowing?
    The youngest 3 are 9 months old. I figured they're a bit old for one to suddenly become a rooster, None of them have large comb or thick legs. 2 of them have gone broody. I don't know what to think on this one. It has me completely confused. I live in the city and cannot have a rooster because of the crowing. But I have no idea which one it is making the noise.

Also for rooster when would they grow the spurs on the back of their legs? Because i checked all mine non have it.

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    It is possible for hens to crow. Last year, I had a Serama hen that was living in a tote in my living room while she raised some chicks. The first time I heard her crow, I nearly fell over in surprise! I never saw/heard her do it while she was with the rooster, though.

I've heard that the hens that do it aren't quite as loud as the roosters, and that was the case with my Serama. I've also heard that it is usually the most dominant hen that does it, often (though not always) when there isn't a rooster in the group.

In addition to spurs, larger combs/wattles, and the larger tails, most roosters have long, slender, pointed feathers on their necks and just in front of their tails. If none of your birds look like that, in addition to the number of eggs you are getting, a crowing hen seems the likeliest answer.

On very rare ocassions, something goes wrong with a hen's ovary, and she will suddenly begin to take on the characteristics of a rooster. He/she may develop the feathering and larger comb and also exhibit the behavior of a rooster - though I hear that such transgender chickens are sterile. Once again, your daily egg count makes this a little unlikely.

3. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I've had in the past a hen that was 2 years old suddenly look like a rooster and begin crowing. I hope to never see it again. I thought that one was simply a freak of nature. it quit laying eggs and fathered several chicks. my dad said it was a hermaphrodite.
    It just shocked me. Can stress cause the hen to suddenly decide it's time to crow? They've been doing construction here. I mean if I'm going to have a hen that crows I might as well have a rooster. While it doesn't bother me to hear crowing, I live in the city and roosters are illegal. I doubt that animal control will believe me that it's a hen crowing.
    This is sad for me, because I know if i take her to my moms house it will get attacked and killed by a cat or coon. because she has no fear of other animals. My hens all chase my dogs away from their bones and take off with the dogs bones. I love all 5 of my hens.

4. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Well my neighbor came over to talk to me about my "rooster" to tell me to please get rid of it in the next week or two. Because they do not enjoy crowing that early in the morning and apparently it's happened more then just this morning. My mom says she'll take my she/he chicken.
    I worry that another one will begin to crow. *sigh* Ohwell, I will hatch more and get some more to bond with that hopefully will only be female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by