1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crowing cockerel???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenMama6RIR, Mar 2, 2017.

1. ChickenMama6RIR

ChickenMama6RIR Overrun With Chickens

Ok so I have a 10- 11 week buff orpington cockerels that I have been hearing strange noises coming out of. Its not his usual chirp chirp. It is more like the last part of a rooster crow. Kinda like DOOOO, but it doesn't last long, only like a second. Does anyone know why and what he is doing? Thanks in advance!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like he's learning to crow.

some of mine sound like babies crying, or goats caught in a fence, or cats drowning [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. ChickenMama6RIR

Lol ok! Thanks! I had never heard of them just doing the dooo sound lol so I was kinda worried! I have only heard him do it 2-3 times in about a week, but I might not of heard all the other times! How long until he gets it perfected, or at least a little better?

4. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    It could be that he is finding his 'rooster' voice as donrae mentioned. Their first attempts at crowing can be a bit awkward. It might also be that he is giving an alarm or caution call to the rest of the flock. It can sound like the end of a crow like his 'airbag' is deflating. My roosters make that sound when they see something that alarms them: an aerial presence that might be a threat, a cat they spotted in the hedgerow, or something like a squirrel that they haven't determined yet is or is not a threat. At low levels, the call can mean "I see something I don't like; everyone be on guard" and at high levels can mean, "Everyone dive for cover!" If your young cockerel is the alpha male (meaning there isn't an older rooster in the flock), he might not be sure exactly what is and what isn't a threat yet so he calls everything he sees that gives him cause for concern.

Or he might just be starting to get his crow on. :)

5. ChickenMama6RIR

Ok thanks! They have a older hen in there with them so she is alpha right now.

6. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Okay. What I said was if he is the alpha MALE. As the most alpha MALE, he may be starting to be guided by instinct that would eventually lead to his roosterness.

7. ChickenMama6RIR

Oh lol ok! Yeah I think it's about time he's hitting that age for his instincts to kick in :lau I brought him inside for a minute today, and I realized how huge he was. My little chick isn't a baby anymore lol. Thank you for all your help! Now I know that he will start being the alpha male sometime soon! I think I said it wrong earlier when I said ALPHA HEN lol I couldn't think of the right word at the moment. :lau

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  8. ChickenMama6RIR

I just reread your reply and now it clicks lol! Yes I would say he is the alpha MALE. He is the largest and he has always in lead of all the younger smaller chickens with him! :lau I'm sorry, I think I finally got it lol!

cassie123 likes this.
  9. WillGriffin03

WillGriffin03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    He's probably learning to crow

10. ChickenMama6RIR

Ok thanks! I've been waiting on that sweet sound! I love the way a rooster sounds :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by