Crowing Contests!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by swedishfish, May 3, 2009.

1. swedishfish

swedishfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    My roos like to have contests with my neighbor's roos to see who can crow the loudest/longest/best-in-every-way. I was just wondering what crowing does when they can't see the other roos? It's pretty funny to watch their preparation before they crow, my Buff Brahma will flap his wings and stretch out his neck really far, and my Black Wyandotte will roost on top of a tall crate in the run to crow. Do your roosters have crowing contests? And I know this sounds silly, but what makes a good crow? I'm going to post a video of one of the contests because I can't keep from snickering every time...

2. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    i have that loves to crow all day long. he will start about 5am and he will have all the roo's on the road going

3. swedishfish

Apr 20, 2009
    Wow! Boy am I glad I only have occasional contests or else my chicken-less neighbors wouldn't like me too much.

4. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    lucky for me i have family for neighbors

5. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    lol mine does that too.. however, they dont know my nieghbors are giving me thier chickens in a few weeks when they move.. *grin*

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My rooster had a crowing contest going for a full month with another roo that (I found out from a neighbor) lives a mile away! Then one day the other rooster stopped crowing. I think he might have had a run-in with a stewpot. [​IMG]
    Then I decided, in all my brilliance, to play the rooster ringtone for my roo when he was in the front yard and couldn't see me on the porch. He now rushes out of the coop every morning, runs to the front yard and precedes to crow trying to call the "other roo" out. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  7. skywatcher

skywatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Arlington,Indiana
    [​IMG] I used to be the proud owner of loud crowing roosters . Now my domenent rooster is a leghorn and my other is afraid to crow since it been whipped by the older rooster.
    Now I often hear my neighbors roosters crow they are over a 1/4 mile to 1/2 miles away. Wish mine would make me proud and crow back. Is the breed leghorn normally so quite ?

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  8. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    My EE roo crowed for the first time this morning (about 15 times in a row). He's about 7.5 months old. This is the first roo I've had in a couple of years. My neighbor used to actually love to hear my roo crow then. This one's really going to make him proud. [​IMG]

9. swedishfish

Apr 20, 2009
    how old are roos generally when they begin to crow?

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Anywhere from a few days old to a year old or more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by