Crowing control? Quiet breeds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by muffi, Feb 27, 2008.

1. muffi

muffi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Ayer, Massachusetts
    Hi all,

I am hoping to get some chicks this spring. I used to raise chickens as a kid, but have not had any for probably 15-20 years. Can't wait to get back into my favorite hobby! I am still trying to iron out all of the details. Because I live in a more suburban area now, I am hesitant to have any roosters that might wake the neighbors up at the crack of dawn. Though I would really like the option to hatch my own chicks each year. Do you know if it's possible to control roosters' crowing by keeping them in the dark until a more reasonable hour of the day? If not, I wonder how much sound-proofing my hen house would need to make them inaudible. [​IMG]

I'd love to have Ameraucanas, Cochins and Silkies. However, if there are some breeds that crow less and/or more quietly, please let me know!

Thanks for your help,
    Muffi

2. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    I ahve a new friend (ya chicken people) that has a roo that she brings into her house at night in a dog creat. It sleeps in her spare bedroom and does not wake untill she goes and gets it. (black out curtains). It too a couple days to a week to get it that way, but if you are going to hatch your self you could start traning it young. [​IMG]

3. All my hens are roosters

All my hens are roosters Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2008
    My roosters can and will crow whenever they please, day or night. Since my hatching usually winds up with more roos than hens and I'm not one to do in any of my birds, I'd be cautious if you are going to annoy neighbors. My little silky is the noisiest of the bunch, and can crow non stop for 10-15 minutes a stretch, starting at 5am...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by