Crowing emergency

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by graceesmee, Apr 1, 2015.

1. graceesmee

graceesmee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    This is very important. I've got two week old chicks thought to be roosters!! I live in a built up area and my neighbours won't stand for the crowing. I really need help on how I can prevent them from crowing, I want to nip it in the bud while they're babies!!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome! It's not really something you can stop, short of surgery or a no crow collar when they are older, and the collar and surgery just make them quieter, they don't totally stop crowing. At one week old it would be really hard to tell they are roosters, unless they are sex linked. There is a chance that they are not roosters.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  3. graceesmee

Apr 1, 2015
    They're light coloured so the farmer told us they were boys and he had no use for them. Will neutering them help or is that cruel. I know very little about it but I just couldn't let them be killed. They're so lovely!

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You could have them caponized and that might help with crowing, but I'm not sure that you'd be able to find a vet to do it and it might cost an arm and a leg since they are considered exotics, strangely enough. You'd have to find an avian vet and see if they would do it for you. From the light color remark it sounds like they are male red sex links.

1 person likes this.
  5. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    If you can't have roosters, why did you take birds that you thought were roosters?

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I think Bluedogsonly does surgery on rooster's vocal cords. Pm him.

7. graceesmee

Apr 1, 2015
    Well we only took them because they were going to be killed, I work in a school and I had watched them hatch so I wanted to save them. I thought that there would be a solution.

8. ChickenNamaste

ChickenNamaste Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Middleburg FL
    Could always have house roosters [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. hellokittyfive

hellokittyfive Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2015
    Female red sex links are light yellow as babies. I know this because I have three of them. You really won't know until they are older. I hate to see people suggest surgery to stop a rooster from crowing. If they turn out to be roosters you should re-home them. I am sure you could find plenty of people on BYC that would be happy to have them.

1 person likes this.
  10. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Actually females are very light red and males are yellow:

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/images/afi300.JPG

Males on left, females are on the right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by