crowing female? I don't want to eat her...but....

crystal94040

Songster
12 Years
Aug 15, 2007
At least I assume she is actually a she?? she has always been bigger and her comb is wider than my other chickens??
She's an Ameraucana if it matters.
She's also very aggressive...she chases the other chickens and tries to fight with them.
For the most part I can deal with her but now she started crowing...and my neighbors are less than impressed. One was actually yelling "shut up" over the fence this morning....like that was going to help.
I'm zoned so that I can have 4 chickens (I have 7
roll.png
)
but they all have to be female...aka...no crowing!
I'm not sure what to do with her....she's bringing unwanted attention with all of her ruckus.
This is my first experience with chickens.
They are all 2 months old.
do they go through a phase or something?
I'm hoping she will just stop but if not I won't have much of a choice as to what to do with her.
Any advice?

My guess----she is a boy.
hmm.png

If she is only 8 weeks old and crowing with a bigger waddle, she is a rooster. Why are you so certain she is a female?? Did you order pullets or something from a hatchery because they arent always right!

hatchery....awww, man.
her feet are bigger too.
and "she" ruffs up "her neck feathers when ever she see's us coming.
I've never killed anything before....maybe I can find her/him a home on craigslist?! Then again I've put so much time and effort into raising the little hellion, and I really want to bite the bullet and learn how to prepare a "fresh chicken" for my family....maybe I should just wait awhile and then have an Ameraucana dinner!

Honestly I'm *scared* to even try to do it myself.... I think I'll feel so bad!

I'll definatly give him/her some more time before deciding his/her fate....but if s/he keep up all this noise
sad.png

sorry for the ramble...we've just grown a little attached to "Ester"

Unless you want to wait 4-6 more months, I don't think eating him is much of an option, he won't hardly have any meat and would be a waste. I would try to sell him or give him away.
smile.png

really? ok thanks...I was just asking that on another thread. I saw that broiler chickens can be slaughtered in 8-12 weeks....but I know they are a different breed.
Any advice on an adoption fee?
whats a fair price for a 2 month old Ameraucana?

if you can't kill one you've named, that's normal. but also wanting to give it at try and just get it over with, is too.

you can probably find him a home on craigslist. i have gotten some nice animals off there. if you don't want him eaten, post under pets and if you are either way, under farm and garden.

if you do it under pets, you are probably going to get someone who doesn't understand how aggressive they may become. under farm and garden they will know, but may also eat him. so, you're choice.

oh, and i think he's an ezra, like my g'pa.

Hi-
Try craigs list as well as the board here.

I just went through the same thing. I had a beautiful Ameracauna that turned out to be a hen. Because there are several people in my area that are getting rid of roosters, and my main concern was "Abigail" going to a good home, I charged a $10 "rehoming" fee that I would waive if I could deliver and check out the premises. I didn't want her to go to a place where she'd be eaten. I had several people express interest, and just delivered Abigail to her new home on a beautiful farm today.

Good luck!

It won't be like your store bird, but it will taste a whole lot better if you try and eat him. Most will butcher at 12-16 or so weeks for a 3 or so lb dressed bird. It's really not that bad once you do it a few times. I've butchered excess roo's as young as 8 weeks for a 1lb bird that is personal sized.

Else, yeah, $10 for re homing of a roo is usual if you don't want him to get eaten.

thanks,
more cock-a-doodle-doo'iing' today
hmm.png

he seems intent on becoming dinner...lol
my kids aren't too happy about it...I think I'll have to hide the fact that we are eating ester or I may end up with a dinne strike on my hands.
My DH said he would help...so we decided next monday at the earliest since it is his day off.
If he can keep it down for another week we will grant him a stay of execution until the next monday...and so on and so forth. *sigh*
Off to continue research on culling chickens
sad.png

Still no interest in the craigslist ad.

Back
Top Bottom