Crowing hen, or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dashboardx, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Dashboardx

Dashboardx New Egg

Jul 28, 2014
    I have two white 16 week old Bantam Cochins who resemble roosters and spend their time crowing. However, today I heard what sounded like a distressed chicken so I opened up my coup to find what I thought was a rooster in the nesting box laying an egg. While I know this an undeniable sign of her being female, she in no way resembles a hen:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    This is her/him only a week ago, as well as a video of him/her crowing. As you can see the wattle and comb are very large and red, uncharacteristic of Cochin hens. I was wondering if hens could develop physical male characteristics? They were raised alongside a Leghorn rooster of the same age and developed these characteristics/started crowing well after the Leghorn, and I've heard of hens crowing in the company of a rooster, but never developing physical characteristics.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Did you actually see the egg exit this bird? I have roosters that hang out in the nest box from time to time, especially the younger guys.

3. Dashboardx

Dashboardx New Egg

Jul 28, 2014
    I'm almost positive I did, yes. And we've been getting bantam sized eggs although we thought all three of our bantams were roosters.

4. FVRM

FVRM Chillin' With My Peeps

maybe it's another bantam? cause this one looks like 100% roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by