Crowing Hen or Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sublimebri, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Crowing Hen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rooster

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. sublimebri

sublimebri New Egg

Mar 5, 2014
    I have 2 Buff Orpingtons and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. They are all almost 3 months old. At about 2 months old, the Wyandotte started crowing occasionally. I looked it up on then forums and it seemed she might just be a rare crowing hen... Now, "she" is crowing more and louder and she is bigger than the other chicks and has more masculine features...

See the video below. Is this a crowing hen or a rooster? If it is a rooster, it has to go because my town does not allow that at all. I have a friend who has a farm that might take him in.

The best part is that we had named her Cruella from the Dalmatians movie... and now it is more like Crowella.

I appreciate any insight. If it is a hen, I did get some velcro to create a "rooster collar" to suppress the crowing but I would only do that if it was truly a hen as I want the eggs.

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    That's 100% a rooster.

3. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

X2 on rooster

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

That's a rooster. A 3 month hen simply won't crow. Older, dominant hens with hormonal issues can occasionally crow, but not that guy.

5. JMarch

JMarch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    we had a hen that started crowing years ago, but she was older and had some hormone changes- a young female won't crow. You've got a roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by