Crowing hen *sigh*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HorseFeathers, Mar 22, 2009.

1. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Poor confused Olympia. As lead hen, her voice already changed to a more garbling tone (we've noticed that all lead hens have this peculiar voice) but the CROWING? (yes, we are absolutely certain she is a hen, she is a very good layer too.) I know this happens sometimes but sheesh! We're a little worried because we live in a rather residential neighborhood... Will the crowing continue or will it just be once in a while?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I think it depends upon the hen, just as it would were she a true he. Hoping someone w/ a crowing hen will give you some advice!

3. EggGardener

EggGardener Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    My two year-old hens crowed last spring, every morning. Not as loud as a rooster, but close. By June, they'd tapered off. The last few mornings, they've been at it again!!!! Hopefully, the neighbors wont mind too much; free eggs always help!

4. Alley

Alley Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    My broody 11 hen crows every morning! It drives me crazy, it wakes me up before the sun even shines! I've gotten used to her crowing and the neighbors laugh!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I finally had to re-home a crowing hen and now another has taken her place and is sounding just like the old one. I wish the blue roo would just grow up and take charge but he basically is low on the totem and only has 4 or 5 hens (of the 18) that run from him. Good thing is, he still doesn't crow!

6. kycklingar!

kycklingar! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Linköping, Sweden
    Horsefeathers, I have to post, even though this has nothing to do with the thread, that I LOVE your hen names! I had an Ophelia for several weeks, but she started crowing.... and it turned out "she" WAS a rooster. Now he's Oberon. [​IMG] A beautiful boy, and just as prissy as he was when he earned himself the name Ophelia. [​IMG]

7. 6chickens

6chickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2007
    my l/s hen has just this morning started crowing why oh why has she suddenly decided to do this???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by