Crowing hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eggnonymous, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Eggnonymous

Eggnonymous Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Carroll County, GA
    Hi folks! Back again with a question I'm sure is not new, but...
    I gave away my 2 roos last weekend and mid week my husband said he heard crowing from the coop. No dear, must be the neighbors roos, said I. Well, went out to open the barn this a.m. and cock-a-doodle-huh?! Looked in an one of my dear silver dorkings was, sure enough, crowing! Is she now the alpha in absence of roos? As you all know the roos look quite different than the hens, so I don't think she's really a he. Hmmm.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Oh, and BTW, we got our first egg last Sun. from one of our dorkings (hatched 3/10) [​IMG] - a normal sized double yolker, but since have gotten 3 more that are bantam size. Ready for a break in the heat!!

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I think she is a sneaky he.

3. girlychick

girlychick Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never heard of that [​IMG] are you sure she didn't just lay an egg? When they lay eggs they bahk(I'm sure not sure how to spell that lol) really loud! If your sure it was cock-a-doodle-doo than IDK what to tell you. Posting pictures of her might help. We do have an alpha hen and she doesn't crow, but she's louder with egg laying and is really bossy and kind of tells the other hen what to do and not to get in her way.

4. Eggnonymous

Aug 17, 2009
    Carroll County, GA
    This was definitely a cock-a-doodle-do, head thrown back crow and she did it in the a.m. She is a silver-gray Dorking and is feathered like a hen (silver-gray body with tan feathers on the breast). The roosters have very different coloring (white on head and back with black tail and breast/belly). Here's a pic...

[​IMG]

5. Eggnonymous

Aug 17, 2009
    Carroll County, GA
    Well, since I don't have a pic of mine and she is 6 months old and looks identical to every pic of a silver gray dorking hen - including the one I posted - I thought that would clarify that what I see does appear to be a hen. One or more of the 3 Dorkings hens I have is laying, but at the time of the crowing none had or were about to (the laying- when it happens - takes place in the mid-afternoon).
    Thanks anyway - maybe she just wants to let the other girls know not to mess with her! [​IMG]

6. Monetta

Monetta Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    San Diego
    I had a Marans hen who crowed in the morning. It does happen sometimes. I had to give her away because I live in town and she was too noisy.

7. Eggnonymous

Aug 17, 2009
    Carroll County, GA
    Thanks Monetta, at least I know I'm not losing my mind if others have experienced the same. I just hope she will still be doing what hens do best - laying some eggs!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by