Crowing Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JerseyHen, Oct 12, 2011.

1. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    I know this subject pops up from time to time, as I have searched for it on the forum, but I couldn't resist posting. I know the bird in question is a hen, I have witnessed the egg laying. There are 3 roos in this flock of 27 birds, two of them crow, one is clearly the dominant roo. This hen is not particularly outgoing or assertive with the other hens, so I didn't think it was "head hen syndrome". She was acting odd for a few days, wanting to stay on the roost in the daytime, biting if you get too close to her, not as social with the other birds as she was before. She doesn't appear ill in any way and she is acting more "chicken normal" today, but this morning she started to crow. It was a really pathetic crow, but definately a crow. Her eggsong was also very vocal, but different from this.

Is it likely that she will stop? Could she be having hormonal difficulties? Will it affect her ability to lay?

2. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

There are hens that can change sexes or even be both sexes. I saw something about it somewhere. One of the other poultry websites.Very weird.

3. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    [​IMG] sex changing chickens? Just what I needed, a hen with an identity crisis. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by