crowing hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eggz4sale, Jun 17, 2008.

1. eggz4sale

eggz4sale Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    McLeod, Tx
    This is so weird.
    Anyone on here ever heard of a hen crowing? I have a bantam with 2 week old chicks who was crowing yesterday. I have her separated from "papa" so could it be that she misses him?

2. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    IDK about the missing feelings??? But I have heard others say they have a crowing Hen and I've read it does sometimes happen. For what reasons I do not know.

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Hens will crow if they miss their mates. I had a hen who crowed and crowed after her roo left. Chickens have been known to change sex, too, but this is sort of a rariety.

4. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Quote:Do they go to chicken surgeons? OMGoodness. I never heard of such a thing as changing gender.

5. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    I can't even get my roo to crow. I'd be happy to have something in my coop crowing.

Chicken sex change :eek: If such a thing was possible, surely Oprah would have had them on her show by now.

6. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    My BSL hen Tilly is the 'boss' of her flock. We have no rooster so she is totally in charge, and she has been known to crow from time to time...she's also our most likely hen to go broody too, what an odd bod [​IMG]

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

My Slifer crowed...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by