Crowing Hen ????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deserthotwings, Feb 8, 2013.

1. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    This afternoon I was around the barn and thought I had heard a rooster crow. Well this was strange sense I have no roosters. As I walked closer I could see one of my 2 year old buff seabrights sitting on the roost and CROWING. Not a real loud crow, but like a young rooster will do when he's starting out. She did it several times and it wasn't no egg song, it was a real crow when she leaned back and let it rip. Now I know that seabrights do not have the feathering type that other breeds have, but she is identical to the other seabright hens I have, no spurs or no indication of being anything other than a little old hen. Shes never exhibited any rooster behavior before this. I was just wondering if this is a once in a life time occurrence or has anyone else ever witnessed this strange event.

2. HSCMorgans

HSCMorgans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Bath, NY Steuben County
    One of my horse clients was telling me just last weekend that they have a hen that is crowing... its a Cochin I guess... so funny! I hope someone can explain this for us!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It happens [​IMG] In the absence of a rooster a hen will sometimes start crowing and mounting the other hens as a sign of dominance, but this is more common with older hens. Are you 100% sure your hens are not roosters?

4. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    Shes 2 years old,never crowed before and looks exactly like my other seabright hens, we have too many chickens to say that I have seen her lay but I have never saw her approach any of the other hens. I don't think I could actually say I'm 100% sure of anything. Never saw her do this before and she hasn't done it sense. Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

5. MrRoy

MrRoy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    I'm glad I found this topic. I have a 4-month old Americaunas hen that started crowing and just like hotwings said, it's not as loud and pronounced as a regular rooster. No mounting behavior but many of my hens are often seen chest- bumping and sparring around the yard. I do have 2 Old English Banty Roos that crow regularly (time-wise not sound-wise). They are both a few weeks younger than the crowing hen. She only seems to crow in the morning while still in the coop. It's like she's imitating the Banty Roos. Kinda almost sounds like a person trying to sound like a rooster. I was able to record her today along with the Bantys. I'll see if I can get it posted.

6. Fibi Little Bit

Fibi Little Bit New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    Cabot, Arkansas
    Good morning, I did a search on Crowing Hen and found you. I had the strangest thing happen and had never experienced it before and have been raising chickens for over 20 years. I have 4 young silkies - 3 males and 1 pullet - the pullet hasn't laid an egg yet but her facial features are totally different than the roosters and the roosters really like her if you know what I mean - grins. Anyway, the other day I had just fed them and was looking at the them in their pen and low and behold the pullet crowed. I looked again and she crowed again - she did this 3 times - I tell you she is a pullet and she crows. I had never heard of it before and am so glad to hear that you have a hen that crows. Have you found out anything about this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by