Crowing in Silkie Roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ms Ellen, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Ms Ellen

Ms Ellen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    The one silkie I have that is obviously a Roo is 5 months old and has been crowing for a few weeks. His crowing is not very loud, will he get louder as he gets older? Also the crowing rooster is the poorest quality silkie we have, the only one that has no vault. Do the vaultless silkies tend to mature faster? No one else is crowing or laying yet. I wish I could tell the sexes of the others but I really can't yet.

2. Ms Ellen

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    Anyone?

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

My Silkies crows are no where near as loud as other breeds of poultry. However they do vary within the breed. I have one rooster whom you can hear three houses down (i live in the city), but then I have another that you can barely hear while standing on my own back porch. If his crow is not loud now, I suspect it wont get any louder later on. It may change a little as he figures out how to crow better and gets better at it.

Vaulted skulls do not mature faster than non-vaulted, and the skull type doesn't have any bearings on growth rate.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2009
  4. Ms Ellen

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by