1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crowing! Oh no...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BugNthugs, Sep 14, 2012.

1. BugNthugs

BugNthugs New Egg

Jun 6, 2012
    So I just discovered my hen is crowing in the morning and recently her tail feather have been getting bigger. Crap. So now what? I have a rooster and he is sleeping with my other two hens at night and mingling all day. Is this okay? I didn't want a rooster. I haven't gotten any eggs yet either. The blue laced red is 8 months and the barred rocks is 7 months. The white langshan is 8 months old. Also, I hear the girls sqwaking a lot in the back yard. I haven't caught them fighting in months, they are usually all friends, but it seems something is going on.

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BugNthugs

BugNthugs New Egg

Jun 6, 2012
    okay, i just went out there and caught Polly (the rooster I shall now call Pollo) was picking on one of my hens while the other one squwaked in the corner. I separated them... :-/

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, he probably wasn't "picking on her," he was probably attempting to mate, which often begins with the male grabbing neck feathers. Your cockerel must be very slow to mature if you're just noticing mating behaviors now... Unless he's yanking out feathers or actually injuring a pullet, you probably don't need to separate them. One young, hormonal rooster/cockerel may be a bit too much for two pullets/hens though, at least at this point. As he matures, he'll (hopefully) learn to be more mannerly and gentle. Or you can rehome him...

4. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    If the hens are out free ranging during the day they are laying outside some where more than likely and you just have not found where they are laying. I all ways sperate my hens and roosters. I don't like the way they pluck all the feather out of the backs, they look unhealthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by