crowing question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AHappychick, Dec 24, 2008.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I am sure this has been asked before but I could not find a post about it so i figured I would ask. I live in a town that is not zoned for Roosters. Mine is in my garage in a nice coop, but even so I am going to have to sound proof it further because he can still be heard down the block lol. Is there any humane way to stop them from crowing. I am pretty sure there isnt but had to ask [​IMG]

2. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Sadly, I have never heard of a way to stop them from crowing that realy works. Short of freezer camp of course which I know is not what you want to do.

Rehome him to the country and enjoy your hens.

Sorry.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Nope, nothing that can be done !! They are roosters and that is what they are best at. Even if you sound proof the coop that means he'll never be able to go outside [​IMG]

Like the other poster said find him a nice home where he can be a loud rooster !! Good luck.

4. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Even though zoning is picky about roos, a lot of times certain neighborhoods will throw a blind eye out for them. Is this possible for your neighborhood? After all, 'illegal roos' would have to be reported to get you in trouble.

Though I'm *NOT* suggesting breaking the law [​IMG]. Here, anyone who has a rooster is an immediate suspect for cock fighting. GRRR.

5. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    Ive also never heard of keeping a rooter from crowing, getting all hens is probably your only option

6. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    The inevitable---taxes, death and roosters crowing![​IMG]

7. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    First thing you should do is to give each neighbor a dozen eggs.

8. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I had a feeling this was the case, I will let it out for supervised visits outside and probably will give it to a farmer I know upstate (where it will have a good life) But I want some fertilized eggs first lol. What I will probably do is cull all my roos when they are old enough and keep my favorite for about 6 months or so before I find it a better home this way I can use it as a stud for a short while. In my area all livestock is illegal so I will definitely get busted with the Roo come spring time.

9. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:Oh I did lol, but there is one neighbor who is a total ass and complains about every little thing, the only reason I dont think he has called yet is because I dont think he can figure where the crowing is coming from, but I am sure once it gets warm he will start walking around just to be a pain in the butt and figure out that is is me.

10. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    I have been suprised that my neighbors said they like my Roo. He does stay in till noon, and is not too loud--a banty oeg. He is legal but the hood is getting built-up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by