crowing questions..............

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by go-veggie, Jul 24, 2008.

1. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Might be a dumb question, but are there any roosters that aren't terribly loud? Is there any way to keep a roo quiet or tone him down a bit? No crowing here yet, but just wondering...thanks.

2. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 breeds...of those, my beloved Cochin Bantam roo is rarely crows....not sure if this is specific to him or his breed as a whole....

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    What kind of Roo do you have?

Some breeds dont crow as often,,
    then there are some who are very laid back,,,
    and the small Serama sounds lke a cell phone but crows all the time [​IMG] darn little bugger at least hes not loud

I had a bantie cochin who was a foghorn so I had to get rid of him,,,I still have another cochin bantie who sounds like a high pitched yodeler and hardly crows at all,,,,,
    I was hoping to teach some roos,,,you crow,you get put away,,,you dont crow,you can run around the yard. Well I dont know if I suceeded or not but he doesnt crow outside hardly ever.

4. dixiechick

Hi Tiki!
    I know what you mean....my Old English Bantam crows his dern head off all day and is LOUD! He's getting ready to be shipped to my father's "Retirement Rooster" farm (where my loud crow-ers go too)...

5. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    ok lol i saw the title and was like..."hmmm...lol this should be good...wonder what itll be this time" [​IMG] but dont worry, LOL i have asked the same exact questions ROFL so dont think im makin fun of u

about the question...depends on the roo [​IMG]

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Hi DixieChick! Yeah I had a Modern Game Bantam who is now at Camp! [​IMG]

Lucky the guy wanted him back, He is using him for his breeding program. It is funny cause they are small birds too. Just like dynamite, they pack a punch.

Mille Fleur d"Uccles have been pretty loud and excitable for me too.

7. dixiechick

My black rosecomb is kinda loud, but I am wondering if he isn't provoked by my OE Bantam.....you are SO right about those little guys...he is egg-sactly like dynamite....I bought the OE hen and he was part of the package deal....

8. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I don't have much experience with roos but here's what I do have:
    I had two polish roos who crowed from about 3 am to midnight every 10 minutes or so. They moved to a new home.
    I had a serama/modern game cross who crowed early in his life and was a little shrill. Was a fairly frequent crower while he was here but he moved too.
    I have a buttercup silkie cross who crows every couple of hours 6-12 times, crows when I come home which is kind of neat.
    I have a silkie roo who is quite a bit quieter than his half-brother and crows much less frequently.

9. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Quote:Our rooster is a 12 week old EE...he is starting to make some interesting sounds. He kind of sounds like a quiet goose right now, but only a couple "honks" a day. [​IMG] When should I expect real crowing, and do you think he'll be a loud one?
    He's in with five 11 week old girls, and I saw him standing on the buff orpington girl yesterday and then he jumped off.
    I thought it would be a little bit yet. Yikes! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I dont know about EEs. The ones that honked were usually foghorns when they grew up, but it is hard to tell, and maybe he wont crow very often at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by