Crowing Roos, Ugh!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sumatra503, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    I had to separate 3 of my roos from the flock in the aviary. They were causing trouble. I now have three crowing jerks in my room. i have no basement. they crow all night and they are loud!

Is there anyway to get them to shut up? I thought the dark would do the trick.

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

How dark is it? You might want to consider covering their cage with a heavy towel or blanket to block more light.

3. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    The less birds you have the less they will crow [​IMG]

4. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    It gets pretty dark. I can't even see with the light out. i've tried covering them and they still crow.

I also tried squirting them with water every time the crowed out of turn. All i got was wet birds.[​IMG]

5. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    A dip in buttermilk and a cracker/flour dusting makes them quite and crispy!! [​IMG]

6. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:Eggzactly! [​IMG]

The other option is a wire tie around their neck. Put on loose and then, a click at a time, tighten until they can't expand their necks to crow. I found that the tie was tight enough if I could still slide my index finger between the tie and the birds neck. They will still try to crow but the sound is muted a great deal to the point they stop trying to crow.

So are the roosters special breeds you want to keep for breeding or just pets and you don't want to send them to freezer camp?

Joe

7. TGarcia

TGarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Texas
    I've got a few roos in my bunch that crow non-stop too. I have YET to find ANYTHING to make them quiet down. Course mine are outside so it's not as bad as having them inside. I plan on taking Fat daddy's advice and taking the trouble makers out. To many males in the bunch is asking for nothing but trouble and fighting among the group anyway.

Course if they are all pets then I can see the problem in taking things to that level.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:TRY A TENNIS RACKET....... AT HIGH VELOCITY [​IMG]

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    My pet boys are quiet "most" of the night. Note that I said MOST. The darker it is, the better. However, they still will crow on occasion. My boys live in my basement. It's pretty darned dark down there. I thought it was pitch black without lights, but have realized that is not quite true. One window, plus the window in the door (duh, forgot that one) let in a bit of light. The window lets in light even though it's covered with thin styrofoam. It's just a hint, though, and not much. (A second window that did the same is now more thoroughly covered!)

I might hear a few crows at night, but not much. I'd suggest that if there is ANY light at all, it may cause your boys to crow. So might anything that disturbs them (people or pets walking around in the house? television noise?)

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:WONT HELP COTURNIX..... CANARIES MAYBE, BUT NOT QUAIL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by