Crowing Rooster

jadedaisy

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2015
Our 6 month old Rhode Island Red Rooster has just began crowing in the morning, has anyone tried the No Crow Rooster Collar and is it worth buying ?
I'm in England so would have to get it shipped over but that's no problem and I'm willing to pay depending on all of you guys advice and feedback ??

Your thread title doesn't really speak to the no crow collar...but.....

I think they are cruel and worst case can kill the bird.

Lots of discussion of them, try this search:
Advanced search>titles only>no crow collar

Your thread title doesn't really speak to the no crow collar...but.....

I think they are cruel and worst case can kill the bird.

Lots of discussion of them, try this search:
Advanced search>titles only>no crow collar

It won't let me change the title of the post so sorry for the inconvenience !!

What's the likelihood of causing death ?

100% kill rate, since its a strap on Velcro collar with no give...

Just being honest, since I looked into then a while back, and after reading numerous cases of the bird choking or getting it caught on something, I have banned it for on even being spoken of around here :(

It seems like a great idea, IF you have a rooster that you can watch 24/7 to make sure he isn't choking, etc... I just can't take that risk and warn accordingly.

We are each responsible for our "flocks", so its always the owners call. But its good that you're looking for opinions first; you may have less paranoia than I, lol, and if you try it and it works, then great, but make sure you feel 100% comfortable with doing it, since you'll really kick yourself if you have doubts and something bad happens.

Edit* that sounded harsh... When used PROPERLY, I would think they could be perfectly safe, but IMO, they are not something that can be used safely by everyone. I hope that makes sense without offending ;)

Last edited:
100% kill rate, since its a strap on Velcro collar with no give...

Just being honest, since I looked into then a while back, and after reading numerous cases of the bird choking or getting it caught on something, I have banned it for on even being spoken of around here :(

It seems like a great idea, IF you have a rooster that you can watch 24/7 to make sure he isn't choking, etc... I just can't take that risk and warn accordingly.

We are each responsible for our "flocks", so its always the owners call. But its good that you're looking for opinions first; you may have less paranoia than I, lol, and if you try it and it works, then great, but make sure you feel 100% comfortable with doing it, since you'll really kick yourself if you have doubts and something bad happens.

Edit* that sounded harsh... When used PROPERLY, I would think they could be perfectly safe, but IMO, they are not something that can be used safely by everyone. I hope that makes sense without offending ;)

I really appreciate all of the advice you have given me !
The reason behind me looking into the collar further is that a certain neighbour of mine made a complaint previously about my hens making a small amount of noise when laying their eggs in the morning and clucking which is ridiculous and in my local area it has been known that people have been told they aren't allow cockerels and I am not prepared to give up mine as I have had him since he was an egg, it sounds silly but he was the only egg out of 6 to hatch and my first ever hatch therefore he is incredibly special and also my pet !
Have you any other ideas of what I can do ?

Quote: It's not 100% @shortgrass ...geesh
roll.png
.....but it certainly is a risk.

@jadedaisy if you are not allowed to have cock/erels, you really should get rid of him.
It only threatens the allowance of any chickens in the area and justifies the folks who don't want to allow chickens at all.

Having to deal with excess male chickens is part of the reality of keeping livestock, especially if you are hatching.
What are you going to do the next hatch..... when you might end up with 2-3-4-5 or 6 cockerels?!
If you want to keep one 'pet' cockerel, bring him to live in your house.
wink.png

It's not 100% @shortgrass
...geesh:rolleyes: .....but it certainly is a risk.

@jadedaisy
 if you are not allowed to have cock/erels, you really should get rid of him.
It only threatens the allowance of any chickens in the area and justifies the folks who don't want to allow chickens at all.

Having to deal with excess male chickens is part of the reality of keeping livestock, especially if you are hatching.
What are you going to do the next hatch..... when you might end up with 2-3-4-5 or 6 cockerels?!
If you want to keep one 'pet' cockerel, bring him to live in your house.;)  

@aart
The issue I have there with getting rid of him is that all farms in my area had an influx in cockerels therefore he may loose his life if I give him up and I'm not willing to do that for anyone :(

@aart
The issue I have there with getting rid of him is that all farms in my area had an influx in cockerels therefore he may loose his life if I give him up and I'm not willing to do that for anyone
sad.png
Well, maybe chickens aren't for you then.

I keep chickens for food, eggs and meat, I hatch new layers every year and eat the extra cockerels and old hens.

If you insist on a pet cockerel, keep him inside your house.

I really appreciate all of the advice you have given me !
The reason behind me looking into the collar further is that a certain neighbour of mine made a complaint previously about my hens making a small amount of noise when laying their eggs in the morning and clucking which is ridiculous and in my local area it has been known that people have been told they aren't allow cockerels and I am not prepared to give up mine as I have had him since he was an egg, it sounds silly but he was the only egg out of 6 to hatch and my first ever hatch therefore he is incredibly special and also my pet !
Have you any other ideas of what I can do ?

Honestly, the only other options would be surgical or life ending... If you are really really serious about keeping him, look into "caponizing"... It's drastic, but it is the only way I know of to keep a male bird and have him stop crowing. It's neutering, per se. And very likely you will have a hard time finding a vet to do it for you... I'll see if I can't locate a good thread on it for you. :)

It's not 100% @shortgrass
...geesh:rolleyes: .....but it certainly is a risk.

Lol @aart, I'm definitely being overdramatic, but really, when I think about it, a bird choking usually dies 100% of the time in all sarcastic honesty :p

It's just birds aren't meant to wear collars, kinda like outdoor cats shouldn't wear collars either... It's just not something you see every day for sure ha-ha ;)

@jadedaisy
 if you are not allowed to have cock/erels, you really should get rid of him.

If you want to keep one 'pet' cockerel, bring him to live in your house.;)  

I agree with aart, aside from drastic measures mentioned above, males will crow, and it'lll be even harder next time...

Rehome him if you absolutely can't stand the thought of butchering him; I had to do that a couple times lol, my neighbors all seem to have a bit of my flocks ;)

Edit* an excellent thread on "caponizing"
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/675898/graphic-pics-of-my-day-learning-to-caponize

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom