Crowing roosters? can they be trained to shut up?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rodster, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Rodster

Rodster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    ok, i know this post may get taken the wrong way by someone but it's really only a half serious question. you end up with 13 roosters in an area where they may not be very welcome and all of a sudden 10 of them learn how to crow in the same week. i wasn't planning a huge slaughter and quite frankly, i'm gettin tired of rooster. Until i figure this out... can u train them to shut up? how does their mental process work?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. dracon

dracon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    South East QLD Australia
    you put you roosters in A dryer ?

3. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Are you for real or just trying to ruffle some feathers?

4. Rodster

Jul 24, 2011
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    as i said, it was only a half serious question. i actually have the idea to build a new coop for them for tonight inside the main coop with some insulation and a ducted air system. i'll let you know how it turns out. And NO, no roosters were actually put in the dryer, it was just a silly idea that after some thought sounded dummer and dummer. hence the post revision.

5. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Since it's only half serious, How about 13 little shock collars like they use for barking dogs. I wonder how many zaps it would take before they figured it out.

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    [​IMG]

No you can put it on "fluff dry".[​IMG]

7. Rodster

Jul 24, 2011
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Since it's only half serious, How about 13 little shock collars like they use for barking dogs. I wonder how many zaps it would take before they figured it out.

You know, from what i hear about turkeys being stupid, if you could cross them with roosters you could modify the little collars to get stronger with each round, creating the invention for self roasting chickens... which brings us back to the dryer idea... kinda funny but probably wudn't work anyways... but your ideawas a fun thoght...

8. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    I find that low heat for 20 minutes makes them nice and fluffy. No wrinkles. :D

9. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    Low and slow heat makes them nice and quiet (and tender!). :)

10. Yoke

Yoke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    One would think they would learn from little shock collar -- but I think we are over estimating the intelligence of a rooster.

They have some amazing instincts - but to train them to fight instincts is a not go.

I would vote for the dryer as you can double, triple, or quadruple up and get buy with a lot less than 13 of them.

Also, fluff won't work. You'll need to set the dryers to the roast setting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by