Crowing Roosters to old to slaughter?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by trulefty, May 29, 2010.

1. trulefty

trulefty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2009
    Magnolia, Ms
    I've got roosters that are 18 to 20 weeks old and have started crowing and chasing hens. Due to my work schedule they are older than I wanted them to be before going to freezer camp. Sinc these are the first ones we've ever done what can be expected from them. Tough stringy meat? Good for dumplings only? Okay to fry? Bake only? Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I *think* that you'll be ok at that age as long as you let them rest in the fridge for a couple of days before you cook them. Hopefully someone who has butcherd at that age will chime in. I have four in the fridge now that were around a year old and after they rest for another day I'm going to pound the breasts out and make chicken strips and put the rest of the meat in the crockpot and make chicken dumplings, stock, etc. out of it.

3. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    I'm sure someone with a lot more knowledge that me will probably give a better answer. In my experience last year, we had four roos that were about that age, one was a little older, but they were just fine baked low and slow in the oven.

4. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

The key to getting tender meat from older roosters is cooking long and on very low temperature. Crock pot, covered baking dish (or roasting bag) in the oven on about 250, stewing on top of the stove at a temp. lower than simmer. Cook at least all day. The other suggestions about aging the bird in the fridge for 2 or 3 days before cooking is very good too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by