Crowing Roosters "WHY "??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gem771, Apr 5, 2011.

1. gem771

gem771 New Egg

Apr 5, 2011
    Why do my Roosters start crowing at 3:00am????? They take turns {I have 3 } every 30 seconds or so. How do I make them stop? Or change their schedule or whatever?????
    Although they do stop......AT 7:00am.

2. Bi0s

Bi0s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Bland County VA!!!!!
    roosters crow whenever they want just part of owning a rooster [​IMG]

3. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    There's only one way to make a rooster stop crowing that I know of and it involves an AX. [​IMG]

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I have always heard that they crow when they hear a noise outside...and they crow to alert the hens to be on the watch...

Don't know if there is much truth to that but I like to think there is so I don't think they are just being a nuisance...lol [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine used to kick in around 3 AM, too. Never woke me up, just heard it if I was awake. Lost my last roo to a coyote, but he saved most of the flock in giving his life. I miss the crowing....

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] They're roosters, that's why. The only lasting solution - OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

7. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    You can't make them stop, it's what they do. If you have roosters, they're going to crow whenever they feel like it. If you don't want crowing, then don't have roosters.

8. GallusGal

GallusGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    One of the users on here - the person with the Chicken Psychology blog - has some tips on how to train or modify crowing behavior. If you do a search for "chicken psychology" you can probably find the link to their blog or even PM them directly.

That being said, if the crowing is hugely problematic, I would consider rehoming the roo. I am not a big fan of killing birds for being birds, so my solution is generally "put up with it or find someone who will."

9. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    That's why we had decided we weren't going to have a rooster, until I saw a Black Cochin I fell in love with. Luckily he's a late riser. He doesn't start in until around 5 or so, and then he's not real loud or persistent.[​IMG]

10. easteregger96

easteregger96 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Greene County
    My dominique roo always starts crowing about 2am every night too. My red roo doesn't make a sound until the sun comes up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by